Tuesday 18 November 2014

Top Ten Tuesday | Sequels I Want to Read


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!

This week's theme is 'Top Ten Sequels I Can't Wait To Get'. This year I've been reading more standalones than series, and although I love a good series I can be pretty picky about them; I'll read some of the first book, and if I don't like it then I won't make myself read the rest of the series. There are a few books on this list I really can't wait to get my hands on - particularly the books by Robin LaFevers, C. J. Sansom and Marissa Meyer - but there definitely aren't ten series I can't wait to get the next installment of. As I said, I'm pretty picky with my series.

So instead, here are ten sequels I'd definitely like to read at some point!




Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers: The third and final installment in the His Fair Assassin trilogy, one of those trilogies I didn't expect to like as much as I do. I read Grave Mercy and Dark Triumph back to back in the spring, and I've been looking forward to the release of Mortal Heart since then. I can't wait to see how this story ends, and to see poor Annith finally get a chance to speak!

Lamentation by C.J. Sansom: I've mentioned the Shardlake series countless times on my blog. I love historical fiction - did I not mention that? - and historical crime is so much fun, and when it comes to historical crime the Shardlake series is the series I love the most. I've been looking forward to the release of Lamentation since I finished Heartstone around this time last year, and it's one of my most anticipated releases of 2015. It actually recently came out, but all of my Shardlake books are in paperback and it's currently only available in hardback; I like my series to match and look pretty on my shelves!

Winter by Marissa Meyer: Probably my most anticipated read of 2015. The Lunar Chronicles has quickly become one of my all time favourite series, up there with Harry Potter, and after reading Cress this February I can't wait to see what's going to happen next and how this series is going to end. I love fairy tale retellings, and Meyer's series is just so original and imaginative, and I also have it to thank for my newfound interest in science fiction. I can't wait!

The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion: I read The Rosie Project at the start of this year, and while I didn't love it as much as a lot of other people seemed to I did enjoy it, and I'd like to read the sequel purely because I have a weakness for contemporary reads about people having babies. I just hope Simsion hasn't jumped on the popularity of The Rosie Project and written a poor sequel.

Clariel by Garth Nix: The Old Kingdom is one of my favourite series; I read Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen during my teens and adored them, and I've been waiting for the release of Clariel for years. Like Lamentation, I'm waiting until I come across a paperback edition that matches my other Old Kingdom books.




Fairest by Marissa Meyer: Technically this is a prequel rather than a sequel, but it still counts right? I was gutted when I heard Winter's release had been postponed to November 2015, but the upcoming release of Fairest certainly makes up for it; I'm really looking forward to reading Levana's story, because that bitch is crazy.

Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop by Jenny Colgan: I actually recently picked up a copy of this when I found it for just £3.85. This book is the sequel to Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams which I read only recently and really enjoyed; I'm planning on reading this next month for some shameless Christmas reading!

The Mirk and Midnight Hour by Jane Nickerson: While The Mirk and Midnight Hour is the second book in a trilogy, it's not the kind of trilogy that carries on from the previous book. Each of the books in this trilogy are completely different stories with completely different characters, but they're linked by the fact that all three of them are fairy/folk tale retellings set in 18th/19th century America. What I love about this series is not only the setting - again, I'm all over historical fiction - but also that Nickerson has chosen to retell fairy/folk tales which aren't as well known. The first book, Strands of Bronze and Gold, was a retelling of the Bluebeard story, and The Mirk and Midnight Hour is a retelling of Tam Lin. I'd really like to get my hands on a copy soon!

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman: American Gods was the first book I read this year and I absolutely loved it. Anansi Boys isn't quite a sequel, but it's set in the same world as American Gods and appears to feature some of the same characters. Until Gaiman writes an actual sequel to American Gods, which he's talked about before, I'll have to make do with Anansi Boys!

American Vampire: Volume 2 by Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque: I only read Volume 1 of American Vampire last month and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I'm oddly attracted to Skinner Sweet and I loved Pearl, too, so I'd love to see what the two of them get up to next.

Which books made your list?

42 comments:

  1. Oh I have an ARC of the Mirk and the midnight hour, and I didn't know it was a series. Good to know that it can standalone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it can standalone. I did enjoy Strands of Bronze and Gold, though - it's an interesting retelling of Bluebeard. =)

      Delete
  2. I loved Anansi Boys! I think I actually might have loved it even more than American Gods, but really I tend to just love anything Neil Gaiman touches. And I can't believe I haven't read Marisa Meyer or Robin LaFevers' series yet because they are EVERYTHING I LOVE. So hopefully I'll stop being worried I somehow won't like them and just read them haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'll have to check it out soon, then! Yes I definitely recommend Marissa Meyer and Robin LaFevers - they're both so much fun!

      Delete
  3. Winter made my list too - I can't wait until it comes out... an entire year from now. Blech.

    TTT @ Krista’s Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, an entire year! D= But at least we have Fairest in February.

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read the Shardlake books! I picked up a couple at a book sale earlier this year. Glad to hear you're a fan! I'm waiting for The Rosie Effect as well. I've been thinking about giving American Vampire a try. Sounds like you recommend it!

    Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend the Shardlake books! =) It's one of those series that just gets better and better with each book. I do recommend American Vampire - I had a few issues with the first volume, but for the most part I really enjoyed it. ^__^

      Delete
  5. I want to read most of these! Well, want to start on the series, anyway, especially Clariel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to start the His Fair Assassins trilogy soon! Also the Lunar Chronicles.
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most of these are on my list! And Anansi Boys is extraordinary. On an unrelated sidenote, your blog is one of the cutests I've ever seen, since I'm a huge fan of Alice, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear Anansi Boys is a good read - I enjoyed American Gods so much that I've been hesitant to pick it up.

      Aw, thank you very much! ^__^

      Delete
  8. Yes to Winter and Fairest!! I love that series SO much!!! and I usually don't read any dystopian and fantasy... or retellings. But that series is just too good!!

    Thanks for stopping by My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Anansi Boys on my shelf to read too. I think I've only not read it yet, because I've a teensy bit of fear of spiders and knowing Gaiman's writing, it probably wouldn't help haha But I'll definitely get to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm pretty terrified of spiders myself, but I didn't mind Mr Nancy in American Gods so I'm thinking Anansi Boys should be fine. =)

      Delete
  10. I hope you get Mortal Heart soon! I just got mine and I'm so ready to devour it :D

    Eileen @ BookCatPin

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend of mine recently read Clariel and raved about it, it got me interested in the series. I plan to start with Sabriel, she started with Clariel. And of course I plan on reading Mortal Heart once I am finished with Dark Triumph. Great post and thanks for visiting my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting with Sabriel is probably a good idea, plus it's a brilliant book - I hope you enjoy the series! =)

      Delete
  12. Brilliant list! I'm really looking forward to Winter and Fairest. I love the Lunar Chronicles. (By the way, thank you for nominating me for the Liebster award. I don't take part, but I really appreciate the nomination!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for Winter it's unreal.

      No worries, dear! =)

      Delete
  13. Winter's release is so far away! I'm dying to read about her! But I guess we'll have to be content with Levana for awhile until then...Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, but knowing Marissa Meyer Fairest is going to be amazing. =)

      Delete
  14. Ooh, a fellow Colgan fan! I haven't read the Sweet Shop yet but I read her other books and I enjoyed them very much.
    I also have the last book in the Robin LaFevers trilogy and the Rosie Effect on my tbr. Great choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Shop is the first Colgan book I've read, but I'd definitely like to read some of her other stuff. =)

      Delete
  15. Never heard of the American Vampire, but I'm definitely intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really quite badly need Fairest and Winter. XD I want Fairest reeeally much, for sure, but WINTER. Cress left off with quite an awful cliffhanger. And I neeeeed to know the ending of this. x)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so, so, so excited for Winter! I need it in my life. D=

      Delete
  17. I haven't got to The Lunar Chronicles yet. I finally convinced myself to buy Cinder seeing as everyone raves about the series. I will be reading it next month for part of a reading challenge and I really hope I enjoy it. I want to be on this bandwagon!!

    Before I started buying books online I never had to worry about the whole paperbacks being released ages later thing because here in NZ the paperbacks tend to be released first! GAH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading - I hope you enjoy it! =)

      Really? I wish paperbacks and hardbacks would all just be released together, it'd make life so much easier...

      Delete
  18. Ohh I definitely need to read Grave Mercy! And definitely YES to anything Lunar Chronicles related, I will be needing those for sure! Great list :)

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm really picky about series too now that I think about it. There are a TON of books that I was only feeling okay about and never thought about again. Those are the ones where I don't care if it gets any better or not. It's just so hard to find stand-alones these days. It seems like if a stand-alone does fantastic, the publisher greenlights a sequel, even if it's not needed. I don't think I've actually read any of the series that you have up there. If they have gotten your approval then I probably need to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely think more standalones need to remain standalones. It's so easy to ruin a good book with a poor sequel. =\

      Well if you decide to check out any of the series here I hope you enjoy them! =)

      Delete
  20. YAY FAIREST AND WINTER :D :D I'm so excited to read them, even if I'm currently reading Scarlet! I just love the characters, and I like how Meyer writes too. Mortal Heart is an amazing book, from what I've heard. Hope you get to read it soon :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I hope so too! =)

      Enjoy the rest of Scarlet and Cress!

      Delete
  21. I have Grave Mercy on ebook and I am very curious about Mortal Heart. Great list!

    ReplyDelete