Friday 14 November 2014

My Favourite Sci-Fi Heroines | Sci-Fi Month 2014


Sci-Fi Month continues! Today I'm going to be talking about my personal Top 5 Science Fiction Heroines. I love me some female protagonists, in fact if I pick up a book while I'm out shopping and I don't find the slightest sniff of a female character in the blurb I will not buy that book. I've got nothing against male protagonists, but I'm 23 and I'm tired of sausage fests.

Linh Cinder from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer: I love The Lunar Chronicles. Since reading Cinder I've become a lot more confident in reading sci-fi, and Cinder has become one of my favourite heroines. After spending so many years convincing myself that I wouldn't be welcome in the science fiction fanbase, it always seemed so male-orientated when I was younger, it's been a real joy to stumble across a series like The Lunar Chronicles, which has not one, but four heroines. There's a heroine for everyone in this series, which I love, but Cinder is most definitely my personal favourite.



Cosima Niehaus from Orphan Black: Another story with a heroine for everyone. I started watching Orphan Black earlier this year and I love it! Tatiana Maslany is the most amazing actress and I love all of the clones, but there's just something about Cosima which always makes her the first clone I think of when I think about the show. She's adorable; I love her passion for science and I really wish my hair looked like hers.





Georgia Mason from the Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant: For those of you who have been following my blog for a while this should come as no surprise. I adore the Newsflesh trilogy, and after reading Feed earlier this year Georgia quickly became one of my favourite heroines of all time. Who knew anyone could love a journalist so much!






Sarah Connor from the Terminator series: I grew up watching the Terminator films with my Dad, and no matter how many times I watch it I never get tired of Terminator 2. What I love about Sarah is that she's actually incredibly flawed, and yet she's still an incredibly competent, resilient, tough lady. For an action heroine of the early 90s she's awesome; she isn't put into a box as a hardcore, emotionless bitch, but she's also far from typically feminine. I have a lot of time for Sarah Connor, and I was very disappointed when she didn't make an appearance in Terminator 3!


Inara Serra from Firefly: Ah, the show that was cancelled before its time. Like Orphan Black, this is another show with a cast of characters who are difficult to compare because all of them are likable and dislikable for completely separate reasons. I love the women in Firefly; Kaylee is adorable, Zoe's fantastic and River's a sweetie (albeit an annoying one). Any one of them could have made my list, but what I love about Inara is the way she challenges the stereotypes we have surrounding sexuality and getting paid for one's 'services'. Plus she always wears the prettiest dresses.

Are there any heroines of sci-fi that you love?

7 comments:

  1. Good call on Cosima! And I'd have taken Kaylee from Firefly but only because I'm blinded by my actual love for her. Inara's a good choice though, intellectually speaking, because as you she she challenges stereotypes brilliantly.

    I'm not sure if Susan Calvin from Asimov's I, Robot counts as a heroine, exactly, but she's surely one of my favourite sci-fi characters. The voice of imperative reason, at any cost.

    Oh, and final votes for Aeryn Sun and Chiana from Farscape - brilliantly complex, consistently engaging characters!

    -monstroooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I was going to pick someone from Firefly, and I have to admit I was initially going to put Kaylee here but the more I thought about it the more I realised how much I love the way Inara challenges our perception of things. :)

      It's been so long since I watched I, Robot (I honestly don't think I've watched it since it first came out) but I do remember liking her a lot.

      Thanks for commenting! ^__^

      Delete
  2. Loooooove Georgia, Cinder, and Inara! They're all so independent and they push so many boundaries.

    - Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider silk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to meet someone else who's a lover of Georgia! :)

      Delete
  3. keep your eye open for the authors Julie Czerneda and Sarah Zettel. I'm pretty sure you will like their work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Cosima, love Orphan Black! But my favorite is always Helena :)

    ReplyDelete