Monday 3 November 2014

To Infinity and Beyond! | Sci-Fi Month 2014


This month I'm going to be participating in Sci-Fi November, hosted by Rinn Reads and Oh, the Books! Check out @SciFiMonth on Twitter, or the official hashtag #RRSciFiMonth if you'd like to keep updated!

You can still join in - check out the information hub!

All of the participants are encouraged to introduce themselves, so here goes!


Tell us a little bit about yourself!

I'm Jess, a 23 year old from the UK. I recently graduated with an MA in Creative Writing, and in January I'll be starting my very first graduate job as a Game Writer! In the future I'm hoping to pursue a PhD in Creative Writing so that I can tutor and lecture other writing students, but first I need to find the money for a PhD...

I suppose the most important thing to know about me for Sci-Fi Month is that I am a science fiction newbie! Unfortunately for years I was very intimidated by the genre; I managed to convince myself that if I didn't know every bit of trivia about a show or a book or a film before I told someone I liked it then I'd be quizzed on all those details and branded 'not a real fan'. I wish I could say there are no people like that, but sadly there are people like that in every fandom going. It's only really this year that I began to embrace science fiction and wanted to explore it more, so I figured signing up to join in Sci-Fi Month could only lead on to something great!

I'm still not entirely comfortable with the genre; space kind of freaks me out so whenever it comes to books set in space I have to build myself up to them (I know. Pathetic, right?) but what I'd never really realised is that I've been a fan of science fiction for years! I loved the Terminator films and Futurama while I was growing up (and still love them now!) and I'm interested in many sub-genres such as time travel and dystopia.

So Sci-Fi Month for me is about broadening my horizons and reading (and watching) outside my comfort zone!

Have you been to any sci-fi related events over the past year?

Yes! In July I went to MCM Manchester Comic Con, where I saw a lot of great cosplayers, bought some brilliant jewellery, and watched a Game of Thrones panel, and this weekend I'm off to Cardiff Film and Comic Con where I'm hoping to meet Jason Momoa!

What do you have planned for Sci-Fi Month?

I'm going to be posting a few recommendations, sharing some of my favourite characters and authors from science fiction, and I'll be posting the science fiction installment of my Classics & Contemporaries series! I may even post the odd review, but I haven't quite decided yet.

I'm really excited about this month, so 

Let Sci-Fi November begin!

6 comments:

  1. Game writer? That is simply marvelous. I would love to do that job (I've searched and frankly found nothing). And Futurama is fantastic, I plan on doing a post about my favorite episodes this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got very lucky - it was one of those things I just stumbled upon by accident!

      Ooo, I look forward to that post! =D Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. That sounds so cool to be a game writer :)

    I kind of understand the space thing - I can't watch the movie Gravity because the idea of drifting off into space terrifies me. I do like shows that are nice and safely ensconced in ships, though, like Firefly, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica. As long as there's no drifting off alone into oblivion, I like space just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sci fi and comic cons are so fun, love going to those. And I just really like the variety in sci fi- space opera, dystopia, whatever. There's so much there. Hope you have a great SciFi Month and look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I understand the money/degree problem. I'm doing my MA in Archaeology at the moment, and I had to save for two years to afford it. I'm here, and now I know I definitely didn't save enough... :P

    No problem with being a SF newbie, that's what this month is for - to introduce wonderful new reads, shows, films, games, whatever to people :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much more to Sci-Fi than space! Anything set in the future, or where science (medical/biological or technological) has taken a leap forward counts, whether it's clones, mutations, self aware robots etc.

    Being a game writer sounds like hard work and heaven at the same time :) The best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete