Friday 5 February 2016

Review | Lumberjanes, Vol.2: Friendship to the Max by Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis and Brooke Allen


by Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis and Brooke Allen

My Rating: 


Jo, April, Mal, Molly, and Ripley are not your average campers and Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's Camp for Hardcore Lady-Types is not your average summer camp. Between the river monsters, magic, and the art of friendship bracelets, this summer is only just beginning. Join the Lumberjanes as they take on raptors and a sibling rivalry that only myths are made of.


I wasn't 100% sure if I was going to read the second volume of Lumberjanes, because while I enjoyed the first volume I didn't think it was anything amazing. I'm glad I did decide to carry on, though, because this volume was a lot of fun, and I definitely enjoyed it more than I enjoyed the first.

One of the big problems I had with the first volume was that I found it very hard to differentiate between the five girls, but I think the second volume did a much better job of giving each of them different personalities; I particularly loved Jo, Molly and Mal, and I like Jen a lot, too.

There are two things I really love about this series: the first is the sense of humour, which just tickles me, and the second is the amount of colour crammed into each and every page. It's so much fun to look at because there's never a boring page, even if the characters aren't doing anything particularly interesting in that scene.

I also can't fault a story that's so enthusiastic about female friendships, and how important friendship is, even if it is sometimes a little cheesy.

The only reason I didn't rate this volume any higher is simply because the plot was just a bit... odd. I didn't see it coming at all, which in many ways is a good thing, but it seemed a bit random. I dunno. I enjoyed it more than the first volume, but compared to other graphic novels out there Lumberjanes still hasn't wowed me yet. I think I'll continue with the series, though!

1 comment:

  1. I read volume 1, and decided that I didn't care enough to continue, even though I thought it was fun. I agree, it's nice to see a story that's all about friendship between girls. I may still check out #2 one of these days. Thanks for sharing your review!

    Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies

    ReplyDelete