Sunday 14 February 2016

My Favourite Romantic Quotes from Fiction

Happy Valentine's Day!

I'm a bit of a grump when it comes to Valentine's Day - I've always thought that if you love your significant other you should tell them every day of the year - but I can understand why it's a lovely day for a lot of couples, whether they've been together for years or they're going on their first date.

I'm ill, so I'll be spending today feeling sorry for myself and eating raspberry ripple ice cream out of the tub, but I figured I couldn't let Valentine's Day pass by without sharing with you some of my favourite declarations of love/quotes about love from fiction. There are only a few here, but they all fill me with the warm fuzzies.



I'm not the biggest fan of Wuthering Heights, mainly because I think Heathcliff is romanticised a ridiculous amount for someone who's actually a terrible human being. That being said Cathy isn't exactly a paragon of goodness herself. Regardless of how unhealthy their relationship is though, there's no denying that it's passionate, and there are some gorgeous passages throughout.


Some books don't deserve all the hype, but The Miniaturist most certainly does. It's one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read, and the above quote is one of many stunners.


I think we've all come to terms with the fact that I'll mention Signal to Noise whenever I can. This book means a lot to me, and so does this quote.


Ah, Saba and Jack. I love these two. Blood Red Road is so much fun to read, I still need to read the rest of the books in the trilogy, though; I've heard that the second and third books aren't quite as good as this one, which is why I've been putting them off.


There's a special place in my heart for Sabriel, and for Garth Nix who was the first fantasy author I came across in my late childhood/early teens who showed me female-led fantasy didn't have to revolve around romance. While there is romance in Sabriel it's a very minor part of the overall story, and it's lovely.

What are some of your favourite love related quotes from fiction?

2 comments:

  1. Oh that quote from Sabriel^^ ♥ *swoon* I agree with everything you said about Sabriel as a strong female-lead without being needlessly tied down by romance. I think THAT's exactly why the romance here is so special! I still need to read Blood Red Road and The Miniaturist though but they're both on the old tbr shelf. Wonderful collection of quotes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Wuthering Heights quote! It's one of my fave books and I just love that quote. Great post!

    ReplyDelete