Tuesday 14 April 2015

Top Ten Tuesday | Inspiring Quotes


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!

This week's theme is 'Top Ten Inspiring Quotes From Books'. I had a lot of fun putting this list together, so without ado, here it is!


This is one of my favourite ever quotes from one of my favourite classics. If I ever got a tattoo, I'd get this quote tattooed somewhere on my body because I just love it.


There are plenty of quotes from Harry Potter to choose from, but I've always loved this one; it's such a good message for children, because when we're younger we'll often do a lot of things we don't want to to impress people. It took me a long time before I learned it was okay to tell my friends 'no', at which point I decided to go and make some better friends.


I'm not even the biggest fan of Wuthering Heights, but even I can't deny that this quote - and so many others - is just gorgeous. Cathy and Heathcliff's obsession with each other is so twisted, but it's fascinating.


I've always loved this quote. There's something so adventurous about it that makes me want to go and explore.


I don't think this is a quote from a book, but it's about books so that counts, right? I've always loved this one. That stunning piece of dragon art can be found here.


I'm going to be surprised if I don't see this on several lists today. Jane Eyre is just such a quotable classic, and this quote in particular is wonderful.


Macbeth is my favourite of Shakespeare's plays, and Lady Macbeth has some fantastic lines. This one has always been my favourite.


I've never actually read Uncle Tom's Cabin, but I love this quote.


I couldn't leave out Anne if I was going to mention Charlotte and Emily! Agnes Grey is full of lovely quotes. This one's one of my favourites.


I love this quote so much that I actually opened my MA reflective essay with it. I'm not the biggest fan of Woolf's fiction, sadly, but she's just so fantastically quotable.

What are some of your favourite quotes?

28 comments:

  1. Great list as always Jess! I agree that Harry Potter is incredibly quotable. There's some wonderful messages within the series! Thank you for stopping by my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There are, aren't there? :) It's just so quotable.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE your list this week Jess, especially the way you've displayed your lovely quotes! Macbeth is my favourite Shakespeare play too - it's so rich and twisted - and that quote from Anne Bronte is really pretty (mental note to add Agnes Grey to my TBR list…)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Macbeth's great, isn't it? And Agnes Grey is a lovely read - I definitely recommend checking it out, especially as Anne Bronte is considered to be one of the earliest feminist writers. :D

      Delete
  3. Those are really good choices! Jane Eyre: <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I absolutely love that Harry Potter quote! Harry Potter is full of amazing, inspiring and motivating quotes :)

    http://madelinejohnstonauthor.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the quotes on this list -- and the wide variety of classic literature as well!

    Mine were a bit less literary....;)

    https://nashvillebookworm.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/top-ten-tuesday-quotable/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't realise until I'd accumulated my list that the majority of them are from classics - they're just so quotable!

      Delete
  6. I love this collection of quotes! Several are new to me, and all of them are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow these are excellent and I've read half of them! I love your quote pictures, I should have done something like that. They look really fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Frankenstein quote is DEFINITELY tattoo-able. Now I just have to choose between it and one of the many delights from the Bronte sisters!
    Thank you for stopping by my blog!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Brontes are just so fantastically quotable, aren't they? :D

      Delete
  9. Great pick with the LOTR quote. You're right, it sounds like the perfect beginning of an adventure. And I love Lady Macbeth's words as well. I read it a while ago but that woman was a seriously powerful character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's probably my favourite Shakespearean character - I just love her. :D

      Delete
  10. Great list Jess! I love all of these! The Frankenstein one is particular- I really need to read that one soon. Woolf is very quotable- I haven't read much of her fiction yet, just A Room of One's Own so I'm not sure how I feel about her fiction. That Uncle Tom's Cabin quote is quite thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You definitely have to read Frankenstein. ;) I read A Room of One's Own and loved it, but other than that I'm not a big fan of Modernism, so unfortunately a lot of her other work is lost on me.

      I know, right? I haven't read Uncle Tom's Cabin, and I'm not sure I ever will, but that quote always makes me stop and think.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness, I ADORE your list! The graphics are amazing, and the quotes themselves are wonderful! The Virginia Woolf one was particularly fun ;) Fabulous list!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS quotes Jess^^ and I LOVE how you put each quotes in images from the books ♥ That Frankenstein quote is wonderful and it reminded me that I really need to re-read that one. Of course, I adored the HP quote and the LotR one! :D And seriously, you can NEVER go wrong with Shakespeare! Fantastic picks and thanks for stopping by mine yesterday xx

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like that Harry Potter quote. It just gets me in a good place whenever I read it. I haven't read Jane Eyre yet but every quote I've seen from that book is amazing. And the Lord of the Rings quote has always made me want to go adventuring. Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!
    Alex @ The Book Banner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Jane Eyre's a great classic - I recommend picking it up if you're ever in the mood for a new classic!

      Delete