Saturday 18 April 2015

P is for Perkins | Blogging from A to Z

My True Love Gave to Me
ed. by Stephanie Perkins

I haven't actually read any of Stephanie Perkins' novels and I don't know if I ever will, but over Christmas I certainly enjoyed reading the anthology she edited and contributed to! All of the authors who feature in this anthology are authors whose work I don't usually read; in fact the only authors in the anthology I'd read before this were David Levithan, Gayle Forman, Rainbow Rowell and Holly Black, and even then I hadn't read much! The only book of Levithan's I'd read was Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (reviewed here!), which he wrote with Rachel Cohn, the only book of Rowell's I'd read was Attachments (reviewed here!) and I thought it was only alright, the only book of Black's I'd read was The Coldest Girl in Coldtown (reviewed here!) and I didn't like it all that much, and the only book of Forman's I'd read was If I Stay (reviewed here!), which I really enjoyed.

I was determined to read Christmassy reads during the Christmas season, something I'd always failed at before, and last Christmas I managed to do just that - and it was a lot of fun! This anthology, in particular, was a highlight for several reasons; reading so many different Christmassy stories felt a little like sitting down to watch Love Actually, and I really enjoyed getting to experience the writing of so many authors in just one book. Reading this book also made me realise how much I enjoy anthologies, and I've since collected a few more to enjoy. I'd definitely dip in and out of this again come next Christmas, and if you'd like to see my review for each of the stories you can find it here!

My personal favourites from the anthology were 'Polaris is Where You'll Find Me' by Jenny Han, 'The Lady and the Fox' by Kelly Link, and 'It's a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown' by Stephanie Perkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment