Tuesday 31 March 2015

Top Ten Tuesday | Recent TBR


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is 'Ten Books You Recently Added To Your TBR'. For this I turned to Goodreads, and picked the ten books I'm most eager to read from the fairly recent additions to be TBR shelf!


Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley: This hasn't been released just yet, but it sounds utterly enchanting. I'd definitely like to get my hands on a copy, even if I keep wanting to say 'magnolia' every time I see the title.

Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy: Four Women Undercover in the Civil War by Karen Abbott: When it comes to non-fiction it's history books I read the most, and as someone who loves learning about women in history this book really interests me.

The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber: I'm always really interested in stories that combine religion and science, so a story about an intergalactic preacher is right up my street.

This Strange Way of Dying by Silvia Moreno-Garcia: I loved Moreno-Garcia's novel, Signal to Noise, so I'd love to read some more of her stuff and this collection sounds great. Plus I've been really into short story collections lately.


Swamplandia! by Karen Russell: I just love how bizarre this story sounds. It has quite mixed reviews - I'm fairly certain it's an extension of a short story in one of Russell's collections, which is something that doesn't always work - but I'd like to give it a go myself purely because I haven't come across anything like it before.

Resistance is Futile by Jenny T. Colgan: I'm a big fan of Jenny Colgan's contemporary stuff, but she also writes sci-fi and I think this book is sort of a combination of science and a rom-com. It sounds really cute, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy!

Mosquitoland by David Arnold: This book just sounds really quirky, and I've heard wonderful things about the way it's written. I'm a sucker for a pretty sentence.

Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear: This just sounds really cool.

Also

The Princess and the Guard by Marissa Meyer: I love The Lunar Chronicles, and I need my fix before Winter is finally released in November!

Summer Days & Summer Nights ed. by Stephanie Perkins: This won't be released until 2016, but I really enjoyed My True Love Gave to Me so I'm hoping this anthology will be a lot of fun, too. Even if it is missing all the fun of Christmas.

Which books made your list?

16 comments:

  1. Haven't read any of these, but have heard great things about Swamplandia and am also eagerly awaiting Summer Days & Summer Nights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently ordered myself a copy of Swamplandia! so I'm hoping it's good! :)

      Delete
  2. Karen Memory looks really good! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your list is fantastic, as usual. I definitely want to check out some of these books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for Summer Days and Summer Nights!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like we're going to be waiting a little while yet, though!

      Delete
  5. Oh! Liar, Temptress, Solider, Spy looks really great! You should check out Laurie Halse Anderson's picture book about women in the American Revolutionary War, it's so cool- it's called Independent Dames. Mosquitoland has caught my eye too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, thanks for the recommendation - that sounds very cool!

      Delete
  6. AHHHHH I had not heard of The Princess and the Guard, thank you for bringing it to my attention! I am dying for Winter and this will help (hopefully) to hold me over!

    Cristina @ Girl in the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm happy to help a fellow reader with their Lunar Chronicles fix! ;)

      Delete
  7. How have I not heard of The Princess and the Guard!? Goodreads is going to tell me all about it now, thanks! And YES to Mosquitoland, I want to read it so very badly. AND Summer Days and Summer Nights. I so wish it was coming out THIS summer! I needs! I read Magonia. I didn't love it, but literally everyone else does, so you should be good there too! Great list :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's a shame it isn't coming out this summer, isn't it?

      Sorry to hear you didn't love Magonia, but I would still like to check it out if for no other reason than the cover is really pretty...

      Delete
  8. I didn't do TTT this week because it would have pretty much been the same list as my Spring TBR. I actually have a Magonia ARC on the top of my pile after I finish Crown of Midnight. I don't want to read anything about it until I give it a try.

    ReplyDelete