Tuesday 3 March 2015

Top Ten Tuesday | All Time Favourite Books


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!

This week's theme is 'Top Ten Books you would classify as ALL TIME FAVOURITE BOOKS from the past 3 years'. I thought I'd find this list fairly tricky, but as much as I really love a lot of the books I read there are only a select few that end up on my list of favourites!


Feed by Mira Grant: Is it any surprise that this book is on my list? Feed was my favourite read of last year, and has an eternal place on my favourite books of all time list.

Cress by Marissa Meyer: I love The Lunar Chronicles, it's one of my favourite series, and so far the Cress has been the best book in the series in my opinion. It was so much fun to read, and I can't wait for Winter!

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman: This is another book that I didn't read until last year - I know, what took me so long? - and I just adored it. I'm a big fan of Gaiman's work, but I think this is my favourite of his novels, with American Gods coming in at a close second.

Rat Queens, Vol.1: Sass and Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe and Roc Upchurch: I only read this in January, but I've absolutely fallen in love with this series.

The Unlikely Ones by Mary Brown: I found this book in a local charity shop and read it in my first year of university. It's just a traditional high fantasy novel; there's witches, dragons, unicorns, knights and talking animals. It's a really lovely little book, and what makes me love it all the more is that the fate of the world doesn't depend on the heroes' success in their quest. The only thing that's going to be affected by the outcome is their happiness.


Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu: The first of my three all time favourite classics. Screw Dracula, read Carmilla.

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson: Such a beautiful book. If you haven't read this yet I can't recommend it more, it's just stunning.

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins: The second of my all time favourite classics. I thought I was going to hate this book when I had to read it for a Popular Victorian Fiction module at university but I ended up really enjoying it. If you're interested in some pre-Sherlock Victorian detective fiction then I recommend checking it out!

Corrag by Susan Fletcher: My list wouldn't be complete without some historical fiction, and Corrag is a gorgeous novel. If you're a fan of novels like Burial Rites or Alias Grace then this is another book worth your time!

Frankenstein Mary Shelley: The third of my all time favourite classics. This book is a masterpiece.

Which books made your list?

12 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to get to Frankenstein soon, and I also really want to read The Moonstone!
    Great List!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Frankenstein when you get around to it! =)

      Delete
  2. I adore Cress! It's such a good addition to the Lunar Chronicles! Thank you for stopping by my blog earlier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Moonstone! I've not read Carmilla, but I've wanted to since Robin McKinley referenced it in her vampire novel, Sunshine. My TTT:
    https://abibliophilesstyle.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/ttt-all-time-favorite-books-discovered-in-the-past-3-years/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get this - I have never read a Neil Gaiman book. WHAT?? Clearly, I need to get on that.

    Fantastic list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to read his work. =) I just couldn't get into his style until I started university.

      Thanks! =)

      Delete
  5. Oh, how funny, I finally got a copy of Corrag based on a friend's suggestion. I love The Graveyard Book too... and I plan to bring it with me to get signed when I attend a Neil Gaiman appearance next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy it. =D It's a book that needs so much more recognition.

      How exciting! =) I don't think he's doing any events near me. =(

      Delete
  6. The Graveyard Book is the only book I've read on this list but oh my goooood I LOVE IT SO MUCH. That book was the first hardcover I ever bought for myself! I already knew I would love it because I'd loved all of Gaiman's other books so when it came out I ran to the bookstore and grabbed a hardcover. Neverwhere is probably my favourite Gaiman book though.

    Your list has me really wanting to read The Gargoyle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's a lot of love for Neverwhere. =) I had a really cool experience with Neverwhere because I ended up reading it, quite by accident, while I was away on a trip in London - I'd see a character's name and then pass the place they were named after, it was a great reading experience!

      Definitely read it! =D It's fantastic!

      Delete