Wednesday 23 July 2014

What's Up Wednesday! | 23/07/14

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk as a way for writers and readers to stay in touch!

What I'm Reading

On Friday I finished reading The Penelopiad and I really, really enjoyed it, but since then I haven't picked anything up. I still haven't read any more of Deadline - which is killing me because I so want to carry on with the Newsflesh trilogy - but right now I have so much work to do I feel guilty if I read for pleasure.

However, as I mentioned last week, this week is the Underhyped Read-A-Thon (I'll leave a link to the blog post I wrote about it here) and I'd really like to try and take part even if I only read one book. I gave myself a TBR but I'm notorious for not sticking to TBRs, and since making that TBR I've discovered I have quite a lot of books with less than 1,000 ratings on Goodreads, which is how I'm classifying a book as underhyped. So before the end of the week I'm either going to pick up White Star by Robin Llywelyn, Vivian Versus the Apocalypse by Katie Coyle or Devoured by D. E. Meredith - they're all pretty short reads!

What I'm Writing

I'm still working away on my portfolio - in fact I'm still working on those climactic scenes!

What Inspires Me Right Now

On Sunday my parents picked me up and brought me down to their house in South Wales for a couple of weeks, and it's so nice to just be able to relax for a bit while I do my work. I love being back in my big bed and I love my parents' cooking!

What Else I've Been Up To

On Saturday myself and a couple of my friends went to Manchester Comic Con! It was so much fun. We queued for two hours in the pouring rain but it was so worth it. I took a bunch of pictures of some amazing cosplayers - which I will share with all of you when I get around to writing up a post about Comic Con! - and I went to a panel featuring James Cosmo (Commander Mormont) and Ross Mullan (the whitewalker) from Game of Thrones and I even got the chance to ask them a question, it was so cool!

We also saw Warwick Davis and Hannah Spearritt (which was very exciting for a 90's child who loved S Club 7) and then there were all the amazing stalls. It was just so much fun! I'd hoped to buy myself a Pop! figure but sadly they were all £10 and as someone who was on a budget for the day I just couldn't afford to spend £10 on one thing.

That doesn't mean I didn't treat myself, though! I got myself a pair of unicorn earrings, a Cortez medallion and a Wolfsbane necklace which is just GORGEOUS.



Basically Saturday was amazing - I'd forgotten how fun conventions are!

What's new with you?

16 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had fun at Manchester Comic Con! It's hard to resist spending tons of money when you're surrounded by so much awesome stuff - I completely failed at resisting temptation at YALC/LFCC and bought two of those Pop vinyl figures. :P

    Best of luck with your portfolio! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to a Comic Con, but it's definitely high up on my list of Things I Want To Do! Glad you had a great time. Hope you're having a wonderful time at home and that you're getting tons done on your portfolio! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these days I'd like to go to a Comic Con, just to experience it all! Although I'm not great in huge crowds so... maybe not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conventions are crowded but they're still so much fun! :D

      Delete
  4. I'm going to a Comic Con-themed dinner this Friday, though I probably won't dress in a costume (unless my comic-loving little brother has one in my size to borrow). I'd love to go to Manchester someday, a lot more than the overhyped London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a fun dinner! Manchester's a great city for shopping, but I highly recommend cities like Lancaster, York and Cardiff. York and Cardiff are great for shopping too, and Lancaster and York are beautiful.

      Delete
  5. I love conventions! And Pop Vinyl figures are so adorable, even the ones from shows like The Walking Dead XD

    I actually bought The Hunters from your underhyped post! I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so hard for me to resist them! I saw a Beast figure and a Jack Sparrow figure and I wish I could have bought them both.

      Oh yay! :) I really want to read it at some point - I love a good adventure story. :D

      Delete
  6. Ooh, that sounds like you had tons of fun! Husband and me are going to the FanExpo here in a few weeks, and it will be our first ever convention. I am probably going to regret the walking and standing (I'll be about 8 months pregnant at the time), but nevertheless we are so looking forward to it!

    Being able to relax can be such a great motivator. Hopefully it keeps you inspired =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun, I'm sure it'll be awesome! :) I must admit my feet were a little sore by the end of the day - just make sure you're wearing a pair of comfortable shoes!

      I certainly hope so. ^__^

      Delete
  7. Oh my god, Hannah from S Club 7!? So intensely jealous right now! I know what you mean about the Pop! figures - I have two and I think they exceeded my annual budget for figurines, haha.

    Fingers crossed all that relaxation = productivity for you, Jess, have a wonderful week!

    - Caitie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? S Club 7 knew where it was at. Yep, if they'd just been a little cheaper I think I would have got one, but it was just a little too much for one thing. :(

      Thanks, you too! ^__^

      Delete
  8. I kinda really want to go to all of the Comic Cons around the world at least once. I love the Cortez medallion (HUGE Pirates of the Caribbean fan) and the unicorn earrings are really cute!

    Good luck with your portfolio. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to go to the one in San Diego one day - it's just so far away! I LOVE Pirates of the Caribbean, I saw the medallion and I couldn't resist. :D

      Thank you! ^__^

      Delete