Monday 7 July 2014

Author Shame!

No matter how much we read there are always going to be those books that we just haven't gotten round to yet. Don't worry. It happens to the best of us.

However, there are a few authors out there that I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read yet, and today I'm going to share some of them with you so you can judge me from afar!


J.R.R. Tolkien

I think Tolkien is the one author on this list I am most ashamed at not having read yet. I've been meaning to read The Lord of the Rings for years - I actually mentioned it in my 2014 Booket List! - because I absolutely love the films. I love the story, but I've always been rather intimated by the book/s themselves (I have a boxset with three separate books, but I know some people prefer The Lord of the Rings as one entire volume).

I'm determined to at least start read The Lord of the Rings this year!

Daphne du Maurier

Like The Lord of the Rings, Rebecca has been on my TBR for a long time now, and earlier this year I acquired a second hand copy in excellent condition from a charity shop, so now I really have no excuse not to have read any du Maurier.

Honestly I'm not entirely sure why I haven't read any of her novels yet. I suppose it could simply be that I didn't want to pay the full price for a book (books seem to be getting more and more expensive!) that I probably wasn't going to read straight away. I'm eager to read Rebecca now that I finally have my own copy, and I'd love to read Frenchman's Creek and some of du Maurier's short fiction, too!


Robin Hobb

Robin Hobb is a well known name in the fantasy genre, and I'm ashamed to say that it wasn't until last year that I realised she's a woman! This realisation has made me even more eager to read her books, because it's a rarity to come across entire shelves in the fantasy section taken up by the works of a female author. It's a sad fact, but it's true.

Hopefully I can get my hand on one of her books this year and read it - I'm particularly interested in her Rain Wild Chronicles!

H.G. Wells

I love me some Victorian Literature - in fact when it comes to classics I turn to the Victorians more than any other era, so I'm sure you can imagine just how ashamed I am to admit I've never read any Wells. One of the big reasons for this is, until this year in particular, I haven't been all that interested in science fiction. Now that I'm becoming more interested in the genre, however, I'd love to read some more classic science fiction - after all, one of my favourite classics of all time, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, is considered to be the very first science fiction novel!

I'm not too bothered about picking up The Time Machine - no idea why - but I'd love to read The Island of Doctor Moreau soon!

Now you have knowledge you can hold against me in future - oh no! Are there any authors you're ashamed not to have read yet?

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment