Wednesday 9 July 2014

What's Up Wednesday! | 09/07/14

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk as a way for writers and readers to stay in touch!

What I'm Reading

Sadly I haven't really done any reading this past week, so I'm still in the middle of Equal Rites, Deadline and The Tenderness of Wolves. I'm hoping I'll get the chance to finish one of them soon!

What I'm Writing

I'm still working away on my portfolio, which is the main reason I haven't really done any reading. I still have quite a lot of work to do, and I end up making myself feel guilty for not doing any work if I sit down and read for a bit.

What Inspires Me Right Now

Oddly enough I think knowing most of the other people on my course are stressing about their portfolios as well is making me feel better, and giving me a little more confidence. I think it's easy to convince yourself you're the only one going through something, and when you realise you're not it takes a real weight off your shoulders!

What Else I've Been Up To

On Saturday one of my friends was celebrating her birthday, so a group of us were invited to her house for a BBQ - it was my first BBQ of the year, and it was a really warm, sunny day so it was lovely. Plus I got to try some ginger wine which was very yummy. We spent the majority of the day playing Bullshit (I'd never played a card game before, so that was interesting) and Werewolf, which is sort of a more sophisticated version of Wink Murder. It was a really fun day, but thanks to the trains being ridiculous I didn't get home until midnight, despite leaving my friend's house at half past nine!

Other than that I've just been working on my portfolio, applying for jobs (wish me luck!) and organising a visit home. I'm off home on the 20th for two weeks just for a change of scenery - last year I managed to get all my coursework done at home by taking over the dining room table and setting myself a routine every day, so I'm hoping I can get a good chunk of my portfolio done while I'm there.

What's new with you?

8 comments:

  1. Best of luck with getting your portfolio ready! I'm buried in edits at the moment, so I feel your pain. We writers find solidarity in suffering. ;) Hope you manage to get it done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, my friends and I used to play Bullshit when we were in Sixth Form. Good memories :D

    Good luck with your portfolio and the job hunt ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something comforting about knowing you're not the only one going through something, in this case, stressing about your portfolio. I think that's also why the writing community is so wonderful: shared experience and support. Hope everything is going well with your portfolio! Best of luck finding a job too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the writing community's great! Thanks! ^__^

      Delete
  4. I always think I should reward myself with reading breaks, but it's so easy to get sucked into a book and not go back to what I know I should be working on, which is why I haven't been reading much either. Hope work continues to go well on your portfolio and that the stress won't get you down. Wishing you lots and lots of luck on your job hunt too! :)

    ReplyDelete