Friday 1 May 2015

My Favourite Fictional Fathers/Father Figures

It's my Dad's birthday today, so I thought I'd share with you some of my favourite fathers, and father figures, from fiction!




Hans Hubermann from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I don't think I've met a single person who loved this book who didn't also love Hans. He's such a comforting presence throughout the book, which is just what's needed when you're reading a story set in Nazi Germany that also happens to be narrated by death. He was definitely one of my favourites.


Silas from The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Bod does have a father in Mr. Owens, but it's Silas we see more of throughout The Graveyard Book and it's Silas who leaves the bigger impact on Bod. I loved their relationship; while Mr. and Mrs. Owens were loving parents, Silas became that cool godfather who teaches you things your parents don't want you to know yet.




Sirius Black from the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling

Speaking of cool godfathers, my list wouldn't be complete without mention of Sirius Black. Some people may argue he's not exactly an ideal role model but at least, unlike Dumbledore, he never cared for Harry while the whole time knowing he was being raised to die at the right moment. Sirius is unfailingly loyal - his animagus is a dog, for heaven's sake - and he's funny and brave and loving. James was his brother by everything but blood, and after his death Sirius is never the same. It still breaks my heart that Sirius never got the chance to clear his name and live as a free man, buying himself a nice little bachelor pad and taking Harry away from his horrid relatives.


Denny Hall from If I Stay by Gayle Forman

I loved Mia's parents so much, especially her father. Denny is witty and fun and adorable, and I really liked the way he was portrayed in the film, too. I found the advice he gave Mia so comforting to read, and it certainly doesn't hurt that I picture him as a hot kind of dad...

Who are some of your favourite fathers/father figures?

2 comments:

  1. Gah! I have WAY too much love for Sirius Black ♥ He may have become reckless after his tragic stay in Azkaban but he had nothing but love and compassion for Harry and he always did what he thought was right! His character is so tragic though, it STILL breaks my heart :*( I still need to read The Book Thief AND The Graveyard book though but they're on my tbr shelf :) Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I'm never going to be over Sirius Black. I hope you enjoy The Book Thief and The Graveyard Book when you get to them! :)

      Delete