Tuesday 12 May 2015

Top Ten Tuesday | Authors I Wish I Could Meet


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is 'Ten Authors I REALLY Want to Meet'. I decided to change this week's just a little, because some of the authors I really wish I could meet are dead.


Daphne du Maurier: I finally started reading du Maurier last year and absolutely fell in love with her. I think she was a genius, and I'd love to meet her in Menabilly, the house that inspired Manderley, and go for a stroll around the gardens with her.

Shirley Jackson: Yet another modern classic genius. I don't read much horror because not only do I scare easily (seriously I can't even watch Shaun of the Dead on my own, that's how pathetic I am) but I never find many stories in the genre that interesting. Jackson is the exception. I've loved everything of hers I've read so far, and all of it has given me the creeps. Her power isn't in what she says, but in what she doesn't say.

Anne Brontë: To be honest I'd quite happily meet all of the Brontës, but I'd love to meet Anne in particular. I love her writing, and as I've so often said she's been the forgotten Brontë too long. I'd love to tell her there are plenty of people, myself included, who think she was fantastic.

Mary Shelley: I mean the woman was only 18 when she basically created sci-fi as we now know it. Frankenstein is one of my favourite books of all time, and I'd love to meet this lady. I imagine she'd have a lot of fascinating stories to tell.

Aphra Behn: I haven't actually read any of Behn's work yet, but as well as being a 17th century woman writer, who wrote everything from plays to poetry to fiction, she was also employed as a spy in Antwerp by Charles II. She's just cool.


J. K. Rowling: Yeah, I know this is probably a really unoriginal answer, but this woman was a huge part of my childhood, and I'd love the chance to thank her for that.

Seanan McGuire: Will I ever stop talking about this lady? Probably not. I love her, and I'd love to meet her, even though I'd probably just gush like a huge idiot.

Marissa Meyer: I adore The Lunar Chronicles, and I'd love to meet this lady to tell her just that. Her retellings are so original, and I can't wait to get my hands on Winter later this year! Feel free to check out my reviews of Cinder, Scarlet, Cress and Fairest!

G. Willow Wilson: I love what she's done with the Ms. Marvel comics (I've reviewed the first two volumes here and here!), and I'd love the chance to thank her for writing Kamala Khan so beautifully. She's one of the best characters to come out of Marvel in years, in my opinion, and I'm looking forward to reading Volume 3.

Silvia Moreno-Garcia: This lady wrote Signal to Noise (reviewed here!), which is probably my favourite book of the year so far, so I'd absolutely love to meet her. I just want to hug her, really, and thank her for writing such a brilliant book.

Who made your list this week?

12 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a totally great list. I would basically love to meet everyone here as well (Anne Bronte! G. Willow Wilson!) I would also love to meet Aphra Behn. If we're getting the 17th century up in this, please add Margaret Cavendish to my list - that would be most excellent. For Behn - oh man, you have a world of fun ahead of you. She's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any Margaret Cavendish yet, either, but I agree - she'd be a fascinating lady to talk to. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I think if Rowling did more press tours she'd pop up on fewer lists, lol. She's basically the mythical one on the list because she almost never tours or does signings. I really need to get the two volumes of Ms. Marvel, I read the first three issues but haven't purchased anymore after that but I loved what I did read and I'm really excited about her new adventures after Secret Wars ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true! Although I can understand why she does so little press tours - there'd probably be a stampede! I'm really enjoying Ms. Marvel. :) I think Kamala's a wonderful character.

      Delete
  3. I love that you went with authors who have passed away too, there's a lot of them I'd love to meet as well, including Mary Shelley. I think picking her brain would be awesome! JKR and Marissa Meyer also made my last this week :D Great picks^^ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Rowling and Meyer on a lot of lists this week - they must be popular choices! :D

      Delete
  4. Amazing authors! I'd love to have met Daphne du Maurier. Thanks as ever for stopping by my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Shelley is an awesome one. I'd love to pick her brain! :D Great list. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Happy Tuesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I think a conversation with her would be utterly amazing. :)

      Delete
  6. Marissa Meyer, YESSSSSS. I am now in a reading slump because of her books </3 I want Winter NOW and these books are now one of my favorites. I would definitely love to meet her and ask her how is it that she comes up with these stories :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh fun list! I want to come with you when you have this combination dinner party/seance. I want to talk to all the older (read: dead) authors just to see what LIFE was like then! And then I want to talk to Seanan about how our names are so similar, yet so different. And then I will kindly ask Silvia for a copy of her book. This will be fun! ;)

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete