Tuesday 5 May 2015

Top Ten Tuesday | Books I'll Never Read


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is 'Ten Books I Will Probably Never Read'. This was a difficult category for me, because as the saying goes, 'never say never'. In a few years I might have read one or two of these books, but I have a feeling I probably won't. When I first started thinking about this category it made me quite sad to acknowledge that there are some books I'll never read - that probably sounds ridiculous, but I think as voracious readers we sometimes worry about never having enough time to read everything we want to - but then I thought, y'know what, I'd much rather spend my time reading something I think I'm going to enjoy than forcing myself through something I have no interest in!

So, without further ado, here's my list...



Les Misérables by Victor Hugo: Ugh, it's just too big, and honestly I have no real interest in reading it. The musical is beautiful, but I don't like being depressed!

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare: I also have no interest in the Shadowhunters. I know this series has a huge fanbase, but it's just not for me.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen: I'm not the biggest fan of Austen, which I know is basically a crime in the book blogging world as everyone seems to adore her, but I would like to give her another try. The one book of hers I'm really not interested in, however, is Sense and Sensibility. I recently watched the 1995 adaptation with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet, and while it was a nice enough film I still thought the story was really quite boring compared to some of Austen's other work, and I think Elinor and Marianne both deserved better.

IT by Stephen King: I'm also not the biggest fan of Stephen King - I swear I'm not the kind of person who hates something just because it's popular, I just don't get on with King's writing style - and I'm not the biggest fan of clowns either, so I think it's safe to say I'll be keeping away from it.

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James: I have nothing against erotica, I just have no interest in reading something that promotes abuse in the way this book does. Christian Grey isn't sexy, he's scary.


Divergent by Veronica Roth: I tried reading this once and just couldn't get into it. Sorry Tris, you and I just didn't get along.

The Selection by Kiera Cass: Honestly I've lost all interest in YA dystopia, and this one in particular just sounds ridiculous.

Looking for Alaska by John Green: Sorry, I'm not interested in Manic Pixie Dream Girls.

Angel by James Patterson: And Nevermore. And Maximum Ride Forever. I loved the Maximum Ride series during my early teens, and then the books just got more and more silly. How Patterson has managed to write a ninth one I don't know, because I gave up after Fang. Just leave it alone, James, the series is dead.

The Merciless by Danielle Vega: This is probably the book I'm most disappointed to have on this list, because not only does it have a gorgeous cover but it's also a really interesting premise. This book is not for the squeamish - it includes torture - but the premise is basically that a group of 'preppy' and religious girls begin to torture another girl at school when they believe she's possessed by a demon. Basically it's a really interesting idea of using religion as a cover for bullying. However, a friend of mine read this and told me the ending (don't worry she didn't spoil me, I asked to know when I realised how much she'd hated it) and to me the ending just shits all over the rest of the book. I won't say anything more than that for anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled, but I know I won't bother reading it!

Which books made your list?

21 comments:

  1. I had Fifty Shades of Grey on my list and The Selection series too (I agree, as dystopias go, it sounds pretty pathetic!). The Mortal Instruments was also on my list. Divergent's not bad but I can understand why you might not like it. I was so depressed by the Les Mis movie, I will never read the book. I also plan to never read another John Green after TFIOS was so bad. I have no plans to read Austen either.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/top-ten-tuesday-3/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In other words, you and I have very similar reading tastes! ;)

      Delete
  2. The Selection is basically the junk food of the YA dystopian genre. I read it and 'enjoyed' it but not because it was good...more because it was sort of mindless and stupid. I can never find a copy of Les Miserables that doesn't have words edited out, like the city in which the first chapter takes place it's always typed as D---....So I've never tried reading it. The Mortal Instruments was sort of bad as well, and I ended up quitting after the second book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I imagine The Selection is quite fun to read, but when it comes to dystopia I'd rather read something along the lines of The Hunger Games or 1984. :)

      Delete
  3. The 50 Shade Trilogy made my list this week... Just not into the hype of these books!! Here's my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-i-will.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't read It if you don't like clowns!! Here's my list ... http://hollykerr.ca/top-ten-tuesday-10-books-i-probably-wont-ever-read/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't plan on reading the Divergent trilogy either because I am enjoying watching the movies without knowing what is going to happen next. Looking for Alaska is alright, its not Green's best work, in my opinion that would be Paper Towns or An Abundance of Kathrines, but Green's humor is always enjoyable to read. I don't think you're missing too much by skipping that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movies, though I might try watching them one day. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Shailene Woodley, though. God I sound like such a grump. :P

      Delete
  6. There are two books in this list that I too, wouldn't read, Les Miserables, because I just don't have any interest in it and IT, because, that clown scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. So nope. And then I have read a few so I find that really interesting, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, IT just terrifies me. I can't handle clowns.

      Delete
  7. I love "Les Mis" and Jane Austen (but my fav is Persuasion) and I found Divergent entertaining, but I am with you on the rest!
    Here are mine: http://rlhendrian.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-i-will-never.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny, Persuasion is the first Austen book I read and the one that made me dislike her so much when I was around 18, but having said that it's also the one I'd most like to reread now that I'm a little older. :)

      Delete
  8. I actually read Les Mis years ago after I first saw the musical, and I really enjoyed it -- but I read it at a period of my life when I really had the time to put into it. I'm not sure that I'd be willing to tackle it now! "It" isn't my favorite King by any means -- super scary, but the ending didn't really work for me (and I'm usually a King fan). If you enjoy Austen, I'd say give S&S a try. And I know some people rave about Looking for Alaska, but I found it annoying. Interesting list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to read some more King in future - I've read and enjoyed Misery - but I definitely won't be going near IT!

      Delete
  9. I just finished Looking for Alaska and liked it well enough. It's not revolutionary or anything, but a quick, interesting read.
    But you're not missing anything with Divergent, I finished the series because I wanted to cross it off my list and it was SO BAD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I tried reading Divergent, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. :)

      Delete
  10. The Merciless IS a bummer! I LOVE that cover, it just makes me want the book but... I trust you. As for the first 5 on your list- GOOD CALL. I read The Mortal Instruments (and I got bored, a lot of books worth of bored) and Fifty Shades (I promise, it was for research purposes only!) and it was even more awful than you'd expect, which is saying something!

    I get not loving Divergent. I mean, I did, but what's the point when you know Allegiant is going to ruin the whole thing? I DO want to read The Selection one day, even though it does sound quite silly, but only because I got all 3 books for under $6 hahah. Oh, and I did like Looking for Alaska.... in spite of Alaska. Fabulous list!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well when you get an entire trilogy so cheap no one can blame you for wanting to read it! ;)

      Delete
  11. There are a lot on your list I have read, but I will totally agree with you on the Fifty Shades of Grey!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete