Friday 4 July 2014

Stories & Songs

For those of us who love books, the stories and characters we adore never leave us when we close the book, instead they follow us around and sometimes even influence what we do and the choices we make. Sometimes, when you're sat relaxing with your iPod and your headphones, a song starts to play that reminds you of a story or a certain character, and before you know it you can't listen to that song without remembering that particular book.

It's certainly happened to me more than once, so today I thought I'd share with you a small selection of songs that make me think of some of my favourite books!


by Mira Grant

"O Children"
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Pass me that lovely little gun
My dear, my darling one
The cleaners are coming, one by one
You don't even want to let them start

They are knocking now upon your door
They measure the room, they know the score
They're mopping up the butcher's floor
Of your broken little hearts

O children

Forgive us now for what we've done
It started out as a bit of fun
Here, take these before we run away
The keys to the gulag

O children
Lift up your voice, lift up your voice
Children
Rejoice, rejoice



by Andrew Davidson

"Iris"
The Goo Goo Dolls

And I'd give up forever to touch you
'Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to Heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't wanna go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
When sooner or later it's over
I just don't wanna miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am



by Moira Young

"Barton Hollow"
The Civil Wars

I'm a dead man walking here
But that's the least of all my fears
Ooh, underneath the water

It's not Alabama clay
That gives my trembling hands away
Please forgive me father

Ain't going back to Barton Hollow
Devil gonna follow me e'er I go
Won't do me no good washing in the river
Can't no preacher man save my soul



by Thomas Harris

"Drumming Song"
Florence + the Machine

There's a drumming noise inside my head
That starts when you're around
I swear that you could hear it
It makes such an almighty sound

There's a drumming noise inside my head
That throws me to the ground
I swear that you should hear it
It makes such an almighty sound

Louder than sirens
Louder than bells
Sweeter than Heaven
And hotter than Hell

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear



by Suzanne Collins

"Glory and Gore"
Lorde

There's a humming in the restless summer air
And we're slipping off the course that we prepared
But in all chaos, there is calculation
Dropping glasses just to hear them break
You've been drinking like the world was gonna end 
(it didn't)
Took a shiner from the fist of your best friend
(go figure)
It's clear that someone's gotta go
We mean it but I promise we're not mean

And the cry goes out
They lose their minds for us
And how it plays out
Now we're in the ring
And we're coming for blood

You could try and take us
But we're the gladiators
Everyone a rager
But secretly they're saviours
Glory and gore go hand in hand
That's why we're making headlines
You could try and take us
But victory's contagious

No comments:

Post a Comment