Wednesday 5 November 2014

What's Up Wednesday! | 05/11/14

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk as a way for writers and readers to stay in touch!

Remember, remember, the fifth of November. Gunpower, treason, and plot. There is no reason why gunpowder treason should ever be forgot...

What I'm Reading

I'm slowly making my way through The Count of Monte Cristo (you can still join in with my Count of Monte Cristo Read-a-Long here!) and this morning I started reading Marie Brennan's A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir of Lady Trent which I'm really enjoying so far. I'm not much of a dragon person; I don't dislike them, but I've never gotten into dragon stories like a lot of my friends have. I tried reading Eragon and really didn't like it, so it's nice to find a dragon story I'm enjoying!

What I'm Writing

Well NaNoWriMo is here and, as per usual, I'm behind. Very, very behind. Mainly because I changed my idea at the last minute. I was totally prepared to write about Medieval dragons (ironic given what I just said about dragons), but then a new idea popped into my head and wouldn't go away so I'm working on that instead. As much as I'd love to write 50,000 words in one month one day, I'm not going to kick myself if I don't do it this year because frankly it's stress I don't need, and NaNoWriMo should be a fun experience as well as a tricky one!

What Works For Me

Saving/jotting down ideas. Very recently I've rediscovered an old notebook and a load of old files on my laptop full of the beginnings of stories or just little bullet points, and I'd forgotten about a lot of them. I love rediscovering old ideas, especially when I rediscover them and realise I still like them despite having forgotten about them in the first place!

What Else Is New

Honestly not much. I've just been reading and trying to kick my arse into gear for NaNoWriMo. Although I am also taking part in Sci-Fi Month throughout November, which is very exciting! You can read my introductory post here.

What's new with you?

2 comments:

  1. I love rediscovering old ideas - sometimes they can spark new stories! And those ideas that won't go away are often the best ones. Even if you don't "win" NaNo, it's good to have the motivation!

    The sci-fi challenge looks fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with NaNo! Even if you don't officially win, every single new word you write is a step closer to The End! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete