Monday 17 November 2014

Liebster Award


I was nominated by the lovely Mallory for the Liebster Award!

So, I answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated me, state 11 facts about myself and then list 11 questions for the bloggers I nominate! Cool? Cool.

Mallory's Questions

1. What is the saddest book you have ever read?

I've read quite a lot of sad books, Of Mice and Men being one of the first to jump out at me, and while books like The Book Thief and Feed have made me cry I think I have to go with the very first book to make cry: Noughts & Crosses.

2. Do you write in your books while you read them?

While I was at university I scribbled in the books I had to read for my course. When it came to writing essays I found it a lot easier to remember which quotes worked in my favour if I underlined them and wrote my thoughts next to entire passages. I wish I was the kind of person who treated every book like a Wreck This Journal, but I'm not. I love people who make their books their own and write all over them and personalise them. I don't mind my books getting a little battered and lived in; I like it when books look as though they've been read, but I don't like to write in them.

3. What literary character are you thinking about naming your future children after?

Well if I ever have children and I wind up having a daughter, I'm determined to call her Alice. Not only because I think it's a lovely name, but also because I really love Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

4. What book are you really excited to start?

I'm really looking forward to reading Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, and as Christmas draws nearer I'm really in the mood for some fun, romance reads, so I'm also excited to borrow Milly Johnson's A Winter Flame from my local library.

5. What's your favourite hot beverage?

Mint hot chocolate. I love mint hot chocolate.

6. What's one of your favourite book to movie (or tv show or mini series) adaptations?

Ooh, this is a really good question. Honestly the first film that popped into my head was Catching Fire; I honestly think it's one of the best book to film adaptations I've ever seen, which is great for me because Catching Fire is my favourite book in the trilogy!

7. What TV show are you loving right now?

I need a new show to watch because the three main ones that I watch aren't coming back until next year. Game of Thrones is an obvious one - even though it really needs to sort out the way it portrays any character that isn't a straight white man - but two of my favourite shows that need some more love are Hannibal and Orphan Black. They're both amazing.

8. What celebrity would you want to play you in a movie about your life?

Natalie Dormer. She's literally nothing like me in any way, shape or form but I adore her.

9. Approximately how many unread books do you think you own?

Somewhere around 150. Probably more. I know, I have a problem.

10. What are some of your favourite poems/poets?

I need to read more poetry, because I just don't read enough of it. I love Lamia by John Keats, The Narrow Way by Anne Brontë and The Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. There's also an entire poetry collection I read earlier this year that I absolutely adored called The Undressed, by Welsh poet Jemma L. King. I don't read an awful lot of poetry, but that collection is definitely one of the best books I've read this year.

11. What is your favourite board or card game?

Not gonna lie, I love a bit of Trivial Pursuit. While I was studying for my MA one of my friends worked at one of the campus bars, and on the nights when there was basically no one in the bar but us around five of us would play a game of Trivial Pursuit. I have very fond memories of those nights.

Eleven Facts About Me

1. My full name, Jessicca, looks like a typo. Thanks Dad.
2. I'm still not over Sirius Black.
3. I've broken four bones, but I've never dislocated anything.
4. I've been scared of clowns ever since one yelled at me when I was around 5 or 6.
5. Christmas is my absolute favourite time of year and it's stressing me out that I haven't been able to start my Christmas shopping yet.
6. I've recently come to the realisation that I probably have some form of social anxiety, but if I ever told anyone that I don't think they'd believe me because I'm not that shy.
7. I love unicorns. I know a lot of dragon people, but I've always been a unicorn girl.
8. I'd really like to go to Florence and visit all the museums and art galleries there.
9. I'm rubbish at other languages. I wish I was fluent in more than one, but I just can't grasp them and I really admire people who can.
10. Guinea pigs, pugs, unicorns and quokkas are some of my favourite animals in the entire world.
11. The only film I've ever found Ewan McGregor attractive in is Angels and Demons. Not really sure what that says about me...

My Questions

1. You're hosting a dinner party and you're allowed to invite three guests. One guest must be an author (dead or alive), another must be a King/Queen/Pharoah/Emperor/You get the idea (dead or alive, from any country) and the third and final guest must be a deity (from any religion/mythos). Who do you invite and why?

2. If you could time travel, where would you go?

3. Which Hogwarts House do you think you'd be in?

4. How long would you last in the Hunger Games?

5. Where would you like to go on your next holiday?

6. Would you rather be able to speak every language in the world or be able to play every musical instrument ever invented?

7. Would you ever get a tattoo? If so, what would you get? And if you already have one/several, what is it/are they?

8. Do you read non-fiction?

9. Which book would you recommend to somone who hasn't read in a year?

10. Your favourite Christmas film? If you don't like any or you don't celebrate Christmas, is there a particular film you enjoy watching at this time of year?

11. If you watch anime, do you prefer it dubbed or subbed? If you don't watch anime, what was your favourite childhood show?

I nominate:


(Apologies if you've already been nominated!)

Thanks again to Mallory for tagging me! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, nice questions :D I'll have to think hard about them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read Burial Rights and Naughts and Crosses. I loved Catching Fire too, both movie and book. I'm really impressed with those movies. Great answers!

    ReplyDelete