Monday 24 November 2014

My Favourite Female Science Fiction Authors | Sci-Fi Month 2014


I didn't really start getting into sci-fi until earlier this year. For a long time I felt as though I wasn't allowed to like it because I was a woman, and I was almost afraid of venturing into it for fear of being criticised because of my gender, especially as I'm useless when it comes to pretty much all sci-fi terminology and tropes.

As a feminist I'm rather ashamed that I let myself be scared away from the genre, especially considering there are so many amazing female authors and female protagonists in science fiction. I still consider myself a newbie to science fiction, but I've already discovered some fantastic female authors (some of whom I already liked, I just wasn't really aware I was reading science fiction at the time!) and today I'm going to share three of my favourites with you!

Mary Shelley



I couldn't possibly make a list about my favourite female science fiction authors without mentioning Mary Shelley, the woman whose work is believed to be responsible for modern day science fiction! Shelley is most famous for Frankenstein, one of my all time favourite classics, but it's not the only thing she wrote; she also wrote The Last Man, a piece of post apocalyptic fiction about the last man on earth, Mathilda, a novella which was never published during her lifetime because it explores incest, Valperga, a piece of historical fiction, and a series of supernatural short stories. Frankenstein, her masterpiece, is believed to be one of the very first science fiction novels.


Tanya Huff



I started reading Tanya Huff's work long before I started my adventure into science fiction. Huff is well known for her science fiction and fantasy works, and is especially known for the way in which she explores and upturns gender stereotypes. She is the author of several series, including the Blood Books and the Quarters novels, and is also the author of the Confederation series; a science fiction series with a female lead that is on my TBR!



Mira Grant


Any of you who have been following my blog regularly this year will know that I've fallen in love with Grant's Newflesh trilogy. It's quickly become one of my all time favourite series with one of my all time favourite heroines, and now I'm a little bit in love with Mira Grant. As well as writing the Newsflesh trilogy, a series about blogging, conspiracies and zombies, she is also the author of the Parasitology trilogy and, under her real name of Seanan McGuire, she is the author of the October Daye series.

Which authors do you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment