Tuesday 11 November 2014

Top Ten Tuesday | Characters Who Need Their Own Books


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find out more about joining in here!

This week's theme is 'Top Ten Characters You Wish Would Get Their OWN Book' and I really struggled this week, which is odd because a lot of the time I find myself growing attached to side characters more than I do to main characters. So today I only have six, although three of them are grouped together so I guess technically I do have ten people...

Anyway, here my my Top Ten Six!

The Four Founders from the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling: I know a lot of people say they want a series set in the Marauders Era, and while I'd certainly buy and read those books if Rowling ever decided to write them I can understand why she never will; we already know what happens to James and Lily and Sirius and co., and honestly I'm not sure we'd find Voldemort all that intimidating after having already read about Harry defeating him. The Founders, however, fascinate me, and I'd love to read a book about them. They were alive during a time when people could be executed for witchcraft, and during a time when women were viewed as beneath men. I want to know about these four; I want to know how they met, how they went about building the first school and finding pupils, and what really happened with Salazar. I want to know!

Neville, Luna and Ginny from the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling: While the golden trio were fighting Death Eaters in the wilderness, the silver trio returned to the school, despite the fact that they could have stayed at home, and did everything they could to protect the other pupils and fight against Voldemort's influence. I'd love to read something - even just a novella - about that year at Hogwarts for them.

Ellen Fettiplace from the Shardlake series by C. J. Sansom: I've been meaning to write a blog post about Ellen for ages. She's a character from Sansom's historical crime series, first introduced in Revelation, who really interested me, and as much as I love Sansom's books I hated what he did with Ellen in the end. She has the potential to be a fascinating character in a genre like historical crime, and in my head she's having adventures and solving crimes like a babe.

Alma Coin from Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins: A lot of people hate Coin, and while I might not be her biggest fan as far as ethics go I do find her fascinating. I'd love the opportunity to get inside her head and see what drove her to make the decisions she made throughout Mockingjay.

Michelle Benoit from Scarlet by Marissa Meyer: And the coolest grandparent award goes to... Seriously, as soon as I found out Scarlet's grandmother was a pilot in her youth I wanted to know more about her, and that curiosity hasn't gone away since. She's like a sci-fi version of an SOE agent!

The Black Sisters from the Harry Potter series: Again, I know everyone loves Lily and James (as do I, and Sirius and Remus are some of my favourite literary characters of all time!) but the thought of a book about Bellatrix, Andromeda and Narcissa just thrills me. All three of them go down such different paths; Bellatrix goes mad, Andromeda defies her family to marry a muggleborn and Narcissa maintains the facade of a dutiful daughter that hides a very subtle strength. Can't you imagine how fascinating a story about their Hogwarts years would be?

Who made your list?

7 comments:

  1. I need to reread Mockingjay. Every time some mentions a character from that book that isn't Gale, Kantiss, Peeta or Primsrose I have no idea who they are talking about! But then it might be kinda nice to be surprised by the movie.
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea about The Four Founders of Hogwarts! They should have their own mini-series like The Beedle and the Bard. I was also thinking of including Luna (because she sees everything in a unique way) and Draco, because we don't really see anything from the "bad guys" perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Four Founders is an amazing choice Jess! :-) I never even thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A novella of that year would be so good! Heck, anything with Luna, especially! OOoh, a novella with Michelle Benoit would be so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a Four Founders era book! That would be so great, really any period of time involving Harry Potter characters would be awesome! And Michelle Benoit would also make a great main character. She had such spunk, I would love to see more of her: Secret Agent Benoit!
    Thanks for stopping by my TTT.
    Alex @ The Book Banner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohh Alma Coin! Now THAT is a great choice! I would love to know her backstory, my goodness! And now I am even more excited to read Scarlet!! Great list!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such good choices, particularly agree with Coin, love to be able to get inside her head!

    ReplyDelete