Tuesday 25 November 2014

Top Ten Tuesday | My Winter TBR!


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find out everything you need to know about joining in here!

This week's theme is 'Top Ten Books On My Winter TBR'. I really enjoyed doing my Autumn TBR, so I jumped at the chance to do another seasonal reading list. I know a lot of people like to read Christmassy books at this time of year - I do too! - but I'm pretty bad at reading things at the right time of year. I read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares during one of my Easter holidays. Oops!

So this year I'm making an effort to read some seasonal books - because I'm in a really wintery/Christmassy mood right now - which is why I've split my TBR into two mini piles. First up I have my Christmas/winter reads, and my second pile is made up of some YA books I really want to cross off my TBR before the end of the year!


Seasonal Reads



A Winter Flame by Milly Johnson: Lately I've been on a bit of a contemporary kick, which is unusual for me because contemporary reads aren't usually my thing. I borrowed this book from my library just yesterday and I can't wait to read it because it just sounds adorable, and I think Christmas is the perfect time for a bit of wintery romance reading!

Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop by Jenny Colgan: I read Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams at the beginning of the month purely so I could read this book when Christmas rolled around, and it's another one I'm really looking forward to reading because I loved the first book. Plus Jenny Colgan's latest novel, The Christmas Surprise, is another Rosie Hopkins novel, so if I read this one I might just read that one, too!

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens: This time of year is the perfect time to reread this classic, which is pretty much the only Dickens story I can push myself through. Victorian fiction is dense, but Dickens takes density to a whole new level...

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent: Okay, so unlike the previous three I hope think this book is going to make me cry, because it doesn't have the most cheerful of premises, but I do think winter is the perfect time to read it because of its barren, Icelandic setting. I've owned this book since Easter and I've been saving it - I can't wait to read it!

The Winter Witch by Paula Brackston: First of all, how gorgeous is that cover? With a name like The Winter Witch how can I not read this book at this time of year? Not only that, but it's set in Wales, where I'm currently living, so I'm interested to see how the setting has been described.

YA Reads



Blackout by Mira Grant: As I'm sure any of you who have been following my blog for a while will know, I've absolutely fallen in love with the Newsflesh trilogy this year. I've already started Blackout, but I'm savouring this trilogy while I still can and I'm aiming to finish it soon!

The Host by Stephenie Meyer: Taking part in Sci-Fi Month has really put me in the mood to read some sci-fi, and frankly The Host has been on my TBR pile for far too long - I've owned my copy since the book first came out, so it's about time I read it!

Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers: The third and final book in the His Fair Assassin trilogy, another trilogy I've loved this year. I have this book on my Christmas list, so with any luck I'll find a copy of it under the tree on Christmas Day and I can see how this trilogy ends.

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater: I've heard nothing but praise for this series, and a couple of weeks ago I finally caved and bought myself a copy of The Raven Boys. I want to read it before the end of the year and see what all this hype is about!

My True Love Gave to Me, edited by Stephanie Perkins: I own quite a few short story collections, but I don't think I read enough of them at all. I don't own this one yet, but I think I might treat myself to a copy of it nearer Christmas for some festive fun!

Which books made your top ten?

9 comments:

  1. Great list! I love your goal of reading seasonal books during the season... I always seem to fail at that myself. Here's my TTT. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not all that into The Host. It was one case in which I actually kind of wished I'd just seen the movie. I mean, it was good, but I actually thought the movie was better. Great list. Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, you've made me want to pick up a few more books...but I can't! My goal is to get through the 60 or so titles waiting on my Kindle before adding to the list. There are just so many good books out there and so little time to read!

    Unleashing the Dreamworld

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really want to start the His Fair Assassin trilogy. I own all three books so I have zero excuse. My True Love Gave to Me is on my list as well =D

    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Host was really great! I read it right after finishing Twilight when I was in love with it, and I was so impressed by it! It's so thought provoking and emotional. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Burial Rights when you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I really want to read a few holiday themed books. I hadn't even considered that, but I was all for it around Halloween. Good luck with your winter reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your list all those holiday books! I think I only have one Christmas book on my shelf right now that I plan on reading next month and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! You have some REALLY good books in your TBR pile! I hope you love them! You also have a few in there that I haven't heard of, so I'm going to look them up and see if I want to add them to my own (teetering, too-tall) pile. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love THE RAVEN BOYS books, and most of the short stories in the MY TRUE LOVE GAVE TO ME anthology are awesome (some are so-so, but they are all worth reading).

    ReplyDelete