Tuesday 19 January 2016

Top Ten Tuesday | New to my TBR!


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is 'Top Ten Books I've Recently Added to my TBR'.

Fiction


Harrow County, Vol.1: Countless Haints by Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crook: I want to keep reading more graphic novels, and this series sounds like a lot of fun. Ever since I started reading Shirley Jackson I've been a little bit in love with Southern Gothic so I'd love to check some out in graphic novel form!

The Big Lie by Julie Mayhew: I haven't read any dystopia in a long time, and this one sounds very unique. Although I always find it weird when the main character in a book or movie or tv show is also called Jess...

Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E. K. Johnston: The author behind A Thousand Nights has turned her talents to a Shakespeare retelling. We can expect to see a lot of those this year, what with 2016 marking 400 years since Shakespeare's death. I'm not a big fan of The Winter's Tale, but I love the sound of this book; I really appreciate how much anti-rape culture we're seeing in YA lately.

The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson: I have an eARC of this novel from NetGalley, and it sounds like a quiet, charming little read. I plan to read and review it soon!

Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal: I still haven't read Mary Robinette Kowal's Glamourist Histories series, but this book sounds very cool; I love stories involving mediums.

Non-Fiction


Do It Like a Woman... and Change the World by Caroline Criado-Perez: I just love the sound of this one. I'm all for feminist non-fiction.

Female Gothic Histories: Gender, History and the Gothic by Diana Wallace: I started working at the University of Wales Press this month, and this is one of their books; they have a brilliant series of Gothic literary criticism and I'd love to read this one, as it's all about historical fiction and how female authors have used the Gothic to reclaim their place in history through historical fiction.

My Salinger Year by Joanna Rakoff: A memoir about a writer who works in publishing. I wonder why I want to read that... In all seriousness, though, this sounds like a really interesting read.

Science in Wonderland: The Scientific Fairy Tales of Victorian Britain by Melanie Keene: I love Victorian Literature, it was my favourite period of literature to study at university, and this book sounds so cool. Given that the 19th century was a period of such huge scientific change I've always been fascinated by the effect that had on the literature of the time, so I can't wait to read this one.

The View from the Cheap Seats: A Collection of Introductions, Essays, and Assorted Writings by Neil Gaiman: Neil Gaiman's one of my favourite authors, but other than his Make Good Art speech I don't think I've actually read any of his non-fiction - this sounds good!

Which books made your list this week?

16 comments:

  1. Nice list of books, though I never seen them before!! Hope you like them all!!

    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-10-books-recently.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Southern Gothic graphic novel? Yes, please. Just added it to Goodreads so I can track it down later. And since I'm trying to read more non-fiction, I'll look up Female Gothic Histories too. :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to add books to someone else's TBR. ;) Happy reading!

      Delete
  3. Great list! I've never heard of the female gothic histories book, but I just added it to my to read list. Sounds fascinating. Here's my TTT http://angelerin.blogspot.com/2016/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-ive.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are ALL new to me Jess^^ Female Gothic Histories sounds promising and I have been wanting to read ANYTHING by Gaiman for a while now. Oh and Ghost Talkers sounds really interesting too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, I highly recommend The Graveyard Book - it's one of Gaiman's best and I think it's a great place to start. American Gods is considered as his masterpiece, but I don't think it's the best place to start with his work. I know a lot of people have started with Neverwhere, which is a good book although it's not one of my favourites - it's a lot of fun to read in London, though!

      Delete
  5. Have heard good things about The Big Lie and am very excited to read it. So I hope you enjoy it! My TTT is here if you are interested: http://powisamy.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-i-recently.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, these all sound good! I have an ARC of The Summer Before the War as well, and I'm looking forward to it. Ghost Talkers sounds like something I need to check out. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five* I have a copy of Helen Simonson's Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, too, so it's about time I read some of her work. :)

      Delete
  7. I really want to read The Big Lie- I've heard so many great things so I hope you enjoy it :-) I look forward to reading your review...

    Here's my TTT post with my TBR if you would like to check it out :-) Have a great day xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do it Like a Woman looks great! I'm really curious about Exit, Pursued by a Bear, I'm eager to read some reviews once they start coming out. Looking forward to your review of The Summer Before the War!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mallory! Hopefully I'll be reading and reviewing it soon. :)

      Delete