Monday 21 December 2015

16 Books I Want to Read in 2016

There are some books I'm always talking about wanting to read, and yet I never get to them. I don't know if it's because they fall to the wayside of newer releases or I'm hesitant to pick them up after waiting so long to read them in the first place, or perhaps a mix of the two, but in 2016 there are some books I'm determined to get to.


These are two classic feminist texts I'm ashamed to say I haven't read yet, and two books Mallory @ The Local Muse is always recommending to me. Now I'm taking part in The Women's Classic Literature Event I have even more reason to read them, and I want to get to them soon. I haven't read any Sylvia Plath yet, so The Bell Jar is a must, and so far the only Margaret Atwood book I've read is The Penelopiad; I'd really like to read Alias Grace, too, but I have to cross The Handmaid's Tale off my TBR!


I'm sure most of you know by now how much I love Sarah Waters, and now I only have two of her six published novels left to read - until she releases her next book! The Night Watch is told backwards, which should be interesting to read, and as The Paying Guests is a bit of a chunker I'm looking forward to diving into it.


Somehow I still haven't read The Raven Boys, and with the final book in this series, The Raven King, coming out in 2016, I think it's about time I got to it! I also still haven't got to Station Eleven despite buying it in January, and I really need to read it as it's one of my friend Elena's favourite books.


I've read sections of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and I've seen the BBC mini series of North and South, so I'm familiar with both stories, but I want to read them both. I'm a big fan of Anne Brontë and Elizabeth Gaskell, so I can get to both of these in 2016 I'll be a happy bunny!


Among Others and The Shadow of the Wind are two of those books I'm always hearing fantastic things about, and yet despite owning both of them I still haven't read them. Both of them are books about books, so I'm very excited to cross them off my TBR!


I've heard a lot of great things about Americanah, and I'm eager to read some of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's fiction after I read We Should All Be Feminists earlier this year. I'm hoping to find a copy of Reading Lolita in Tehran under the Christmas tree, because it sounds fantastic.


The Crimson Petal and the White and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are two beasts in the historical fiction world, and though they both intimidate me they're both books I want to read. I've heard nothing but good things about The Crimson Petal and the White, and I love my historical fiction with a dash of magic. Hopefully I can get to both of these!


Similarly, No Name and The Count of Monte Cristo are both GIANT classics. I've been telling myself I'm going to read The Count of Monte Cristo for far too long, I really need to cross it off my TBR, and I only discovered No Name this year but I love Wilkie Collins and I think it sounds brilliant. These classics both deal with revenge, and I love me a good revenge story every once in a while.

So those are some of the books I'd like to read in 2016. Are there any books you're determined to cross off your TBR next year?

6 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly approve of your Raven Boys goal :D I really do hope you get to it in 2016 and I hope you'll love it as much as I did! We're in the same boat when it comes to The Count of Monte Cristo - I've owned a copy for years and seen the movie about a million times but I have yet to read the book. Hopefully we BOTH get to it in 2016 ;) Good luck with reading all of these in the new year Jess^^ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the fact that The Raven Boys is so loved is one of the reasons I'm so hesitant to read it - I don't want to be that one person who doesn't like it! It sounds pretty great, though, I just need to get to it. So many books, so little time...

      Delete
  2. I need to cross Count off my TBR as well! I don't think it will happen in 2016. :) Anne Bronte is excellent! So is The Bell Jar. I'm also reading North & South in 2016! Best wishes with all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think The Count of Monte Cristo is on quite a lot of people's TBRs - it's just such a beast of a book!

      Delete
  3. There are some on your list that I really need to read! Definitely Handmaid's Tale and Station Eleven. And I also wanted to read a book by Jo Walton, but I think it's My Real Children. I saw it somewhere and was very curious! I also need to read Dream Thieves (the second Raven Cycle book) so I can be ready for The Raven King!

    As for books I just MUST read next year that I have been ridiculously not reading? Red Rising haha (that one makes my list every year!), The Martian, Under a Painted Sky, These Broken Stars... and you know, like every book being published in 2016 ;) Hope you are able to get to all of these!!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, I have a copy of My Real Children, too; a lot of Jo Walton's work sounds really great.

      Under a Painted Sky's on my TBR, too! There are just so many books to read, aren't there? I need more time in the day!

      Delete