Tuesday 3 November 2015

Top Ten Tuesday | Gimme More


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is 'Top Ten Debut Authors Who Have Me Looking Forward To Their Sophomore Novel'. Luckily for me I recently went on a bit of a debut binge, and it's made me want to read more debuts in future - I don't think I'm particularly good at reading debuts, especially not reading debuts the year that they're published, mainly because half the time I don't realise I'm reading a debut unless it mentions it somewhere in the blurb. This year, though, I've been trying to check out more books by the same author because I find it frustrating when people ask me who my favourite authors are and I realise just how many authors I've only read one book by; I feel unable to call an author a favourite if I've only read one of their books.

Anyway, these are the ten authors whose debut novels I thoroughly enjoyed, and whose work I'll be keeping an eye out for in future - some more than others!



Hannah Kent: Hannah Kent's debut novel, Burial Rites, was the first book I read this year and it broke me. It's a beautifully written fictonalised account of the last days of Agnes Magnúsdóttir, the last woman to be executed in Iceland. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she writes next! Read my review of Burial Rites here.



Silvia Moreno-Garcia: You guys already know how much I love Silvia Moreno-Garcia's debut novel, Signal to Noise. She's already published two short story collections and edited plenty of others, and recently she announced she'll be releasing two more standalone novels! I believe Young Blood will be her next novel, also set in Mexico City and featuring a homeless teen and drug lord vampires (give it to me now), and she's also writing a historical fantasy novel titled Proper People. I want them both. Also you should all drop everything you're doing and read Signal to Noise right now. Check out my review here.



Anne Brontë: I don't really know if Anne Brontë counts on account of her not being a living author but, hey, this is my list. I love Agnes Grey, and though I've read bits of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall for school and whatnot in the past, I've never sat down and read the whole thing from start to finish. Considering I'm taking part in The Women's Classic Literature Event, I'm planning to read it soon!



Nicola Yoon: I didn't love Everything, Everything, but I did enjoy it and I'll be keeping my eye on Nicola Yoon to see what she releases next; she's an official member of the We Need Diverse Books campaign, so she's definitely an author I want to keep on my radar! Read my review of Everything, Everything here.



Mary Shelley: Another classic lady. Frankenstein is one of my favourite classics - it's such a fantastic book - and I've been meaning to read more of Shelley's work ever since.



Andrew Davidson: I feel as though Andrew Davidson has vanished off the face of the earth. I adored his debut novel, The Gargoyle, it's a stunning book, but it was published in 2008 and since then I haven't heard of him bringing out anything else. I hope he does, though!



Laura Konrad: Laura is a friend of mine and I was very lucky to receive a review copy of her gritty, post-apocalyptic debut Lorelai, You'll Never Die, which I reviewed here. I've known Laura for a few years now, she's an online writing friend, and I've had the pleasure of seeing her blossom as a fantastic writer of sci-fi. She excels at stories in outer space and post-apocalyptic fiction, and I can't wait to see what she publishes next!



Robin Talley: My entire MA was based around the idea of the representation of minorities in history and how historical fiction can give a voice back to the people who were originally deprived of one, so I love stories like Lies We Tell Ourselves that look at history through the eyes of someone who isn't white and straight. I think Robin Talley is a fantastic voice in YA today, and her third novel, As I Descended, is one of my most anticipated releases of next year! This is kind of cheating because I've already read her second novel, What We Left Behind, but sadly I wasn't a big fan of it, so I'm hoping I enjoy As I Descended a lot more. Check out my reviews of Lies We Tell Ourselves and What We Left Behind here and here!



Becky Albertalli: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda was such a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed it, and flew through it, and I'll definitely be checking out whatever Becky Albertalli releases next. Check out my review of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda here!


Jessie Burton: I finally read Jessie Burton's debut, The Miniaturist, a couple of months ago and thought it was absolutely stunning - you can check out my review here! I think her style of writing is gorgeous, and I believe she's currently working on her second novel set during the Spanish Civil War.

Who made your list this week?

19 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to Jessie Burton's next book. The Miniaturist is one of the best books I've read this year. Such an unusual read. Definitely something special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Miniaturist is stunning, isn't it? I can't wait to see what she does next! :)

      Delete
  2. I remember reading about Burial Rites and being really intrigued by it, I love anything set in Iceland. I need to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend reading it - it's a great read for the winter months! :)

      Delete
  3. I need to read Burial Rites and The Miniaturist, which I actually didn't know was written by a woman! I also need to dip into Anne Bronte, but I will be reading her soon for the Women's Lit event! I have very high hopes for her novels.
    Thanks for stopping by the The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky made my list as well - and don't we all wish that Mary Shelley could give us ONE MORE?! =p

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems to have made pretty much everyone's list, but I'm not at all surprised - Simon is fantastic. I know, I'm almost hesitant to read more of her work because there's no chance of her releasing anything new!

      Delete
  5. I actually haven't read any of these authors debut books besides Nicola Yoon! I'll have to look into a few of them :)

    Here is my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. You have a few books on here that I have read and enjoyed myself. I think I am also going to have to add a few of these to my Christmas wishlist, it looks like I have missed out on some great debuts recently. I am especially excited to read Simon VS the Homo Sapiens Agenda, I have heard so many good things about that one. Here’s my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely adored Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda - definitely recommend checking it out! :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of this book I will try some of them.
    My TTT:
    https://silvybooksaremylife.wordpress.com/2015/11/03/top-ten-tuesday-7/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've really been wanting to read The Miniaturist!! I bought a copy at a sale recently so I hope to get to it soon! :D

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, I hope you enjoy it! It's written beautifully. :)

      Delete
  9. There's a few books on this list that I haven't heard of before, so I'll definitely be checking them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicola Yoon came SO CLOSE to making my list- I even had her graphic made- but then I had to cut things down, because it was getting out of hand, so newer releases got axed ;) I am exactly zero percent surprised to see Silvia on here though! Aaaannnd just added Burial Rites to my TBR! Fabulous choices!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete