Saturday 20 December 2014

Review | The Christmas Surprise by Jenny Colgan | Twelve Days of Christmas


by Jenny Colgan

My Rating: 


Rosie Hopkins, newly engaged, is looking forward to an exciting year in the little sweetshop she owns and runs. But when fate strikes Rosie and her boyfriend, Stephen, a terrible blow, threatening everything they hold dear, it's going to take all their strength and the support of their families and their Lipton friends to hold them together. 

After all, don't they say it takes a village to raise a child?

The Christmas Surprise is the latest book in the Rosie Hopkins series, beginning with Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams and Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, which I reviewed here!

Ironically, The Christmas Surprise surprised me. I thought I knew exactly what I was going to get out of a book like this - surely it's just another fun, contemporary read about having a baby? - but it turned out to be quite different to what I expected. I don't want to say too much about the plot because I don't want to spoil it, so all I will say is I thought Colgan handled a lot of her content material very well and I enjoyed this book very much. I've become very attached to Rosie and co., and with that ending (which I'd half expected and half hoped for!) I hope we'll see another Rosie Hopkins book soon.

So if I enjoyed the book that much, why didn't I give it 5 stars? Well there were a few reasons. Firstly, as much as I love Rosie and Stephen it feels as though a lot of the problems they've faced throughout the Rosie Hopkins books have been the same. I suppose we could argue that a couple will often face the same hurdles because they have the same weaknesses, but it can get a little tiring. I also felt as though everything wrapped up far too quickly and easily near the end of the book - quite a contrast to the rest of the book which took its time. And finally, this book didn't feel quite as Christmassy to me as the previous book, but I still really enjoyed it and I look forward to more of Rosie in future!

No comments:

Post a Comment