Monday 17 February 2014

Meet the Blogger + Ten Books That Changed Me!

Hi!

I was hoping to have a review up for you today (where have you heard that before?) but on Saturday I spent my night at a Disney all-nighter from 8 o'clock in the evening until 9 o'clock the following morning. While it was totally worth it, it did leave me completely whacked. I'd planned on finishing off the review I'd started yesterday, but I was just too tired.

So instead I have something pointless and fun that I found over on tumblr that'll help you to learn a little more about me.

Before I get onto that, however, I have to talk to you about the 10 books that changed me. Now that there are 10 months left in the year, I've decided that for each month that's left I'm going to pick a book, from a list I'm about to show you, and talk to you about it! 

These aren't necessarily going to be my favourite books of all time, but the ones that changed me in some way or changed the way I think about the world.

I'm a big fan of watching booktubers over on YouTube, and I got the idea for this when I came across the Ten Influential Books Tag. But in that tag you just list your 10 books without going into any detail, and personally I'd much rather talk about how or why the 10 books I've chosen influenced me.

Here are my 10:

  1. The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl
  2. The Angry Aztecs by Terry Deary
  3. Witch Child by Celia Rees
  4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
  5. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
  6. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
  7. Sabriel by Garth Nix
  8. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  9. Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman
  10. The Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm
So if finding out a little more about these books and how they influenced me interests you, be sure to keep checking back throughout the year!

Meet the Blogger:


  • Name: Jess
  • Nickname: Uh... Jess
  • Height: 5'2" (and three quarters!)
  • Relationship status: Single
  • Birthday: 10th of October
  • Favourite colour: Yellow; Lilac; Turquoise 
  • Favourite singer/band: Imagine Dragons; Within Temptation; Adele; The Civil Wars; Lady Gaga; Florence + the Machine; Fun.; Celtic Woman; Enya; P!nk; Nightwish
  • Last song listened: When You Were Young - The Killers
  • Last movie watched: Toy Story
  • Favourite book: The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson; The Unlikely Ones by Mary Brown; Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling; Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll; Frankenstein by Mary Shelley; Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman; Things I Want My Daughters to Know by Elizabeth Noble; The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins; Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins; Sabriel by Garth Nix
  • Last book read: The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín 
  • Currently reading: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness; Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks; The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion; Green Rider by Kristen Britain; Witches by Tracy Borman
  • # of siblings: Two 
  • # of pets: None
  • Best school subject: English; Drama; History
  • Mac or PC?: PC
  • Current shirt colour: White. How boring.
  • Gamer?: No, I'm absolutely rubbish. I once tried to play Grand Theft Auto and I just ended up making the little man walk in circles for about 20 minutes.
  • Day or night?: Both?
  • Summer or winter?: Winter. I don't like being hot.
  • Most-visited website?: It must be either tumblr or YouTube
  • Celebrity crushes: Johnny Depp and Mads Mikkelsen. I love them both.

So have we bonded yet? I think we just shared something special. I might answer the other questions on the list a little later in the year - perhaps on another Monday or Friday when I don't finish the post I want to finish on time!

Check back on Friday for that review!

No comments:

Post a Comment