Monday 20 February 2017

Diversity Bingo 2017!

I spotted this over on Mallory @ The Local Muse's blog and couldn't resist taking part myself. The last thing I want to do is make it seem as though my striving to read more diversely is about ticking something off a list; as I mentioned in my 2017 Resolutions I do genuinely want to get to a point where I'm reading as many authors of colour as white authors, and reading all across the spectrum within those books because dammit it's 2017 and the world isn't made up of white, wealthy, heterosexual, cisgender, able-bodied people and that's something to be celebrated and something that should be reflected in the stories I read.

So I'm going to put this Diversity Bingo here and at the end of the year I'd like to come back and see how much I've crossed off so that I can assess how diverse my reading has been throughout the year, and I'll probably check it myself throughout the year because I know there are areas that I am consistently missing out. For example, I feel as though I've read very little by Asian or South American authors, and even less about Asian and South American characters in Asian and South American settings, and I've read practically nothing about the trans community which is something I need to change. I don't want to be ignorant.


I've read 15 books so far this year, and 6 of those books have crossed something off this list which I'm really happy with, but I'm hoping to cross as many books off this list as I can. I think this will be a great starting point to help me search for new diverse reads that I might not be reading much of already; like I said above I'd like to read more books set in Asia and more books about the trans community, but I'd also like to read as many Own Voices authors as I can this year as well reading books featuring protagonists with disabilities.

So far I've read:

Retelling w/ MC belonging to LGBTQIA+ - The One Hundred Nights of Hero by Isabel Greenberg and As I Descended by Robin Talley.

Non-Western (Real World) Setting - The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Book by Author of Colour - The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin.

Diverse Non-Fiction - The Good Immigrant ed. by Nikesh Shukla.

Hijabi MC (Own Voices) - The Other Half of Happiness by Ayisha Malik.

Are you challenging yourself to Diversity Bingo this year?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're doing this too! Can't wait to see what you choose to read for the squares!

    ReplyDelete