Tuesday 22 December 2015

Top Ten Tuesday | All I Want for Christmas is Books


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!




This week's theme is 'Top Ten Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Under My Tree This Year'. Like most book bloggers, I'm sure, the things I ask for most when Christmas rolls around are new books. When I was younger I used to ask for a huge pile of books, but now that I'm older I don't expect to find as much under the tree which, of course, is perfectly normal - my poor parents have paid for enough! Nowadays I tend to receive money a lot more which is ideal for me; I already own a lot of books so people are unsure what to get me, so getting a bit of money means I can treat myself to whatever I've been after without specifically asking for something and ruining the magic of the surprise.

So, this week I've split my list! The first half are books I'd like to receive, and the second half are books I plan on treating myself to very soon.


Books I'd Like to Receive


Peter and Alice by John Logan: John Logan is the writer behind Penny Dreadful, one of my favourite shows, but before he was a screenwriter (he also wrote the scripts for Gladiator and Skyfall!) he was a playwright. I love the sound of this play, which is about a fictional meeting between Alice Liddell and Peter Llewelyn Davies, who were the real-life inspirations for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Peter Pan.

A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston: First of all, I think that cover is gorgeous, and second of all I've heard some brilliant things about this one, including a rave review from my friend Natalie @ A Sea Change.

Public Library and Other Stories by Ali Smith: This collection of stories are all about why books are so important to us. As a book lover, I'm sure you can understand why I want to get my hands on a copy of this. Plus I keep meaning to read some Ali Smith.

The Lake House by Kate Morton: I've been after a copy of The Lake House ever since I saw this interview with Kate Morton over on Pan Macmillan's YouTube channel!

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi: This memoir is about an Iranian teacher who began a reading group with seven of her most committed female students to read forbidden Western classics. It sounds amazing.


Books I'd Like to Buy



The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett: The Secret Garden is one of my favourite classics, but the only copy I own is an old, battered copy that's full of my notes from university. I'd really like to treat myself to this beautiful Penguin Threads edition - it's so pretty!

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn: I really want to check out some of Gillian Flynn's novels after I read The Grownup earlier this year, and while I've heard a lot of great things about Gone Girl I'm actually a lot more intrigued by her debut novel, Sharp Objects. Besides, if Gone Girl is her best novel yet I might as well start from the beginning and make my way through her work that way!

Let Me Tell You: New Stories, Essays, and Other Writings by Shirley Jackson: Shirley Jackson's my favourite horror writer, and this year a new collection of some previously unseen stories and non-fiction was published, edited by her son and daughter. I think it has a gorgeous cover, and I really want it for my growing Jackson collection!

Worlds Elsewhere: Journeys Around Shakespeare's Globe by Andrew Dickson: Expect to see a lot of Shakespeare around in 2016, as it marks 400 years since his death. In this book Andrew Dickson explores Shakespeare's impact all around the world, and why he's still so popular - it sounds really interesting, and if you've been following my blog for a while you'll know this year is the year I've really gotten into non-fiction.

Romantic Outlaws: The Extraordinary Lives of Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley by Charlotte Gordon: Another non-fiction book about two fascinating ladies. Mary Shelley is one of my heroes - I think Frankenstein is a masterpiece - and Mary Wollstonecraft is a woman I want to learn more about, so this book sounds very cool.

Which books made your list this week?

15 comments:

  1. Ohhh A Thousand Nights is a good one! I agree that the cover is stunning AND I've heard wonderful things about it :D I hope you do get The Secret Garden especially as it's one of my all-time favorites too ♥ Speaking of which, I read it in ebook form when I reread it last so I should have wished for it too this week LOL Awesome picks^^ Here's wishing you get all the books :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! I agree with you about that version of The Secret Garden - it's gorgeous!!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. That new cover for The Secret Garden is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great List! A Thousand Nights will be one of the first books I finally get to read in 2016. That cover is beautiful! I've also been eyeing The Lake House for a few months. Sharp Objects is insane! I hope you enjoy it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's some really good ones on here! I hope you get a bunch of these. Here's my TTT http://angelerin.blogspot.com/2015/12/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-i-would.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
  6. That edition of The Secret Garden looks beautiful! I'd really like the Shirley Jackson book as well. I hope you get at least a few of the books you're wishing for!

    Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I would like to read The Lake House too, along with so many others. I have only read one by Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl, and would like to read others. I hope you get a lot of bookish goodies. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many pretties Jess! I hope that Santa is good to you! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharp Objects was epic!
    Hope you get some great books under the tree! Merry Christmas!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Romantic Outlaws does sound fascinating!

    I hope you find some of these under your tree!

    Check out my TTT and check out my current giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! I really want to read Peter and Alice next year! It sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Lake House is so good!! I hope you do find it under your tree :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  13. These covers are all so beautiful! I'd love to have that copy of The Secret Garden! :D

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cover of A Thousand Nights is SO pretty- and I have heard that the details of the book are just as lovely! I hope that you got at least some of the books on your list- and that you buy yourself the rest :D

    P.S.- Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas is You is the ONLY Christmas song I love and willingly listen to, so that's a win!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  15. A little late but I hope you found all of these books under the tree on Christmas! :) I hope to get my hands on Kate Morton's The Lake House soon (I have it ordered); I heard so many good things about it :)

    Wishing you all the best for 2016!

    - Lianne @ eclectictales.com

    ReplyDelete