Thursday 16 April 2015

The Classics Book Tag!

I saw this tag over at It's a Books World and I had to have a go at it myself. I don't read as many classics now that I've left uni, but I still love them dearly.


An Overhyped Classic You Really Didn't Like


Everyone's going to hate me, but I despise The Great Gatsby. Before anyone says anything, I understand why it is the way it is - I get what it's saying - but I still hate it. I don't think it helps that I don't think F. Scott Fitzgerald was a particularly great guy, either. I know we should try to separate the art from the artist, but it's something I often struggle with.


Favourite Time Period to Read About

I'm a Victorian girl, I've always loved the 19th century. So much happened in the 19th century - from the rise of the New Woman to the Gothic to the publication of Darwin's On the Origin of Species - and it informed the literature of the time in a fascinating way.


Favourite Fairy Tale


Oh Once Upon A Time, you had so much potential...
I always loved Rumpelstiltskin when I was little. I'm still waiting for my creepy Disney version. Or maybe even an adaptation by someone like Guillermo del Toro, that'd be cool.


Most Embarrassing Unread Classic



I don't really agree with this in the sense that I don't think we should be made to feel ashamed for having not read something, but if there's one classic I feel like I should have read by now it's Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm sure I'll get around to it one day, but the more people tell me to read it the less I want to.

Top 5 Classics You'd Like to Read Soon




As I'm starting to get into sci-fi I want to read a bit of classic sci-fi, and I love the sound of The Chrysalids. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall I've read parts of before, but I've never been able to sit down and read it from beginning to end which, as a big fan of Anne Brontë, is something I need to do. So far Jane Eyre is the only novel of Charlotte Brontë's I've read, and I have this lovely edition of Villette waiting patiently for me on my shelves, and while I'm not Thomas Hardy's biggest fan I do like the look of the new film adaptation of Far from the Madding Crowd, so I'd like to try reading it this year. I still need to get my hands on a decent copy of The Mabinogion, which are a collection of Welsh legends and folktales!

Favourite Modern Book/Series Based on a Classic


I think most of you know by now how much I love The Lunar Chronicles; they're by far the best retellings I've read.

Favourite Classic Adaptation


I love the 1994 adaptation of Little Women, but I think I have to say the 1993 adaptation of The Secret Garden just because I grew up with it and watched it so often during my childhood.

Least Favourite Classic Adaptation


Alice, a 1988 adaptation of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I had to watch it for my Lit and Film course at uni and it's horrifying.

Favourite Editions of Classics You'd Like to Collect More Of


I'd really like Puffin to release more Puffin in Bloom titles. I'd love a pretty edition of The Secret Garden to match the lovely edition of A Little Princess they did!

An Underhyped Classic You'd Recommend to Everyone


Just Anne Brontë in general, really. She's forgotten too often, and I won't stop talking about her until she's as well known as her sisters.

I tag:

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for tagging me - I'll definitely do up a post for this one...eventually haha! I loved reading your answers^^ I love the Victorian time period too and YES I agree that The Lunar Chronicles are some of THE best modern series based on classics! Also, those Puffin in Bloom titles you shared are GORGEOUS! I want them all, ESPECIALLY A Little Princess and Anne of Green Gables ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I look forward to reading your answers! :)

      The Puffin in Bloom books are very pretty, aren't they? I was a little naughty and ordered all four of them last week, despite having no shelf space left, because I just couldn't resist them...

      Delete
  2. Oh great tag! I will be doing this one for sure!
    You have been kicking out great posts like crazy lately- You go girl!
    I need to read some Thomas Hardy too. I'm for sure reading Tess this year, but the Far From the Madding Crowd movie makes me want to read that too!
    Thanks for tagging me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! ^_^

      I had to read a few extracts from Tess during my A Levels and it's just so gloomy. D: Far From the Madding Crowd does look pretty fun, though. I'm looking forward to seeing your answers!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tag! The more I see those Puffin classics the more I like them. I hated them to begin with but they are everywhere and I'm sort of tempted to start buying them, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I'm looking forward to your answers! Haha, I ordered the four of them and they got here yesterday and they're really cute and pretty. ^_^

      Delete