Wednesday 15 April 2015

M is for Meyer | Blogging from A to Z

Cinder
by Marissa Meyer

When I first heard of Cinder I thought it sounded like a lot of fun, and I thought reading it would be a lot of fun. Thankfully, I was right, but I had no idea The Lunar Chronicles were going to end up becoming one of my all time favourite series. I love a good fairy tale retelling, but they can be hard to do well; what Meyer has managed to do is take these old stories and breathe new life into them - they're just so original!

This series is also fantastic in terms of its diversity. Throughout the series so far our settings have included China, France, Africa and the moon, we have four leading ladies - all of whom are completely different ladies, meaning there's a heroine for everyone, but who don't compete against each other in any way - and we have an array of characters from all different races and cultures. Our Cinderella has prosthetic limbs and our Prince Charming's Chinese - I can't remember the last time I came across a retelling with so much diversity.

I love this series so much, and while I can't wait to get my hands on Winter I also really don't want this series to end.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you mentioned in this review! Cinder started off a bit slowly for me, but once I got into it, I was absolutely hooked! And hooray for diversity--bonus points because I'm Chinese too. ;)

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you're hooked on The Lunar Chronicles, there's no going back. ;)

      Delete
  2. I agree with everything you mentioned in this review! Cinder started off a bit slowly for me, but once I got into it, I was absolutely hooked! And hooray for diversity--bonus points because I'm Chinese too. ;)

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only read Cinder so far, but I totally agree, especially on the diversity piece. That was so refreshing, I felt like I was reading something very different, something that hadn't been done before. I can't wait to have a chance to read Scarlet!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to read the other books soon - it's such a fantastic series and it only gets better!

      Delete