Tuesday 31 July 2018

N.E.W.Ts Readathon TBR!

Earlier this year I took part in Book Roast's O.W.Ls Readathon, a readathon inspired by the exams fifth year students take at Hogwarts, and this August it's time to take our N.E.W.Ts! There are a number of challenges, N.E.W.Ts are more difficult than O.W.Ls after all, and you can only take N.E.W.Ts for the subjects you 'passed' at O.W.L level.



For my O.W.Ls I completed Ancient Runes (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll), Arithmancy (Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo), Charms (The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine) and History of Magic (Blood Water Paint by Joy McCullough), so those are the subjects I'll be tackling throughout August with a TBR of 12 books. Will I read all 12 of these in August? I'll be very impressed with myself if I do, but I've chosen all but three of them from my huge end-of-the-year TBR so I'm hoping I'll be able to get a good chunk of them under my belt. 

So, as tomorrow is the start of the readathon and today is Harry's birthday, I thought I'd share my Fantasy-heavy TBR with you!


Ancient Runes



  • Read a book set in the past - Riddle of the Runes by Janina Ramirez
    This is historian Janina Ramirez's first foray into fiction with the start of a Middle Grade series set during the Viking era, and I was sent a review copy by Oxford University Press. It looks so fun and I couldn't resist the opportunity to read a book with 'runes' in the title.
  • Read one of the most ancient books on your shelves that you haven't yet read - The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    I've been meaning to read this book for years and years and now that there's a new adaptation on television more of my friends want me to watch it so they have someone to talk to about it, but I can't watch it until I read it and I want to read it soon.
  • Read a book translated from another language - Macbeth by Jo Nesbø
    I don't know yet if I'll get to this one because it's quite chunky and I haven't been a big fan of the Hogarth Shakespeare series so far, but Macbeth is my favourite Shakespeare play so I'm not going to say no to a crime fiction retelling. I've yet to read any Nesbø so this should be an interesting introduction to his work.
Arithmancy



  • Read a book of at least 300 pages - Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend
    I haven't seen a single bad review for this one yet and, as well as Fantasy and YA, I've rediscovered a love for Middle Grade this year too. I think this will be a fun one to blast through if I feel myself getting a bit bogged down during the readathon.
  • Read a book that ends on an even numbered page - On the Front Line with the Women Who Fight Back by Stacey Dooley
    I haven't read any non-fiction yet this year but I keep eyeing up Stacey Dooley's first book because I love her documentaries. This one's actually less than 300 pages and is written in Dooley's conversational style so this is another one that I think will be fairly quick to blast through.
  • Read a book that's not a first in a series - The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin
    It's about time I returned to this trilogy! I really enjoyed The Fifth Season and I've actually started The Obelisk Gate and got about a quarter of the way through it, so it's about time I got back to it so I can try and finish this trilogy this year.
Charms



  • Read a book with magic in it - Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
    This is another one I've heard nothing but good things about and I've been craving some African-inspired fantasy, so I can't wait to get to this one.
  • Read a book with a cover that charmed you - Circe by Madeline Miller
    Admittedly this wasn't really a cover buy because I would have bought it anyway having loved The Song of Achilles so much last year, but the cover is absolutely gorgeous, even more so in person, and I can't wait to read this one.
  • Read a book that you think will leave a mark - Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
    I'm nervous about this one because I didn't enjoy Uprooted as much as I hoped to, but I've been longing for a novel-length retelling of Rumpelstiltskin for a long time now and I've seen so many amazing reviews that I'm hoping this will become a new favourite. I'll be buddy reading this one with the lovely Natalie @ A Sea Change!
History of Magic



  • Read a book that you think would fit right in at the Hogwarts Library - Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
    That cover looks exactly like the kind of cover I'd expect to see in Hogwarts. I'm ashamed to say I've yet to read any Robin Hobb but she's an author I desperately want to try and, I hope, love.
  • Read a book published at least 5 years ago - The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
    This is another modern classic of Fantasy that I've been meaning to get to for years and ever since I read and adored Six of Crows I've been craving more Fantasy about thieves. I believe this one also has a setting inspired by Venice and I love Italy so I'm very excited about this one.
  • Read a book that's at least 400 pages long - The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu
    This is another one I've started but put aside to try and get through some review books and to read some more YA which I've been rediscovering my love for this year. I've enjoyed what I've read so far so I'd be very proud if I could finish it in August!
Are you taking part in the N.E.W.Ts Readathon? What are your reading plans for August?

No comments:

Post a Comment