Tuesday 14 February 2017

Top Ten Tuesday | All the Single Ladies


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


Happy Valentine's Day! This week's theme is all about romance, and as I talked about my favourite OTPs last year, I figured this year would be a good opportunity to talk about the characters I think should have remained single.


Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games trilogy: Sorry Peeta fans (specifically Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight), but I hate the ending of Mockingjay. My ideal happy ending for Katniss was for her to live somewhere peaceful with Prim and if that couldn't happen then I wanted her to either live alone or die. I know that sounds grim, and I understand the comfort she probably finds in Peeta because he's gone through so much of what she's gone through, but I hate the way people use Peeta against her. I wrote a whole post about it here if you're interested.


Rachel Green from Friends: The more I re-watch Friends, the more I realise Rachel should have stayed on the plane. Ross is a pretty awful person and he consistently makes her choose between him and her career and it pisses me off. When they're first dating he's constantly looking down on her interest in the fashion industry, but if someone says they're not interested in science it's like they just told him Santa isn't real. He's a hypocrite and I don't like him, and to be honest by the tenth season I think Rachel and Joey have way more chemistry.


Juliet Capulet from Romeo and Juliet: SIX PEOPLE DIED. This applies to Romeo too, I guess, but to be honest Romeo's always seemed pretty flaky to me while Juliet has all these amazingly violent monologues throughout the play and has always felt like the more fleshed-out character to me. I understand that she doesn't just want to marry some stranger her father picks out for her, but was there really no other option for her than a whirlwind romance that KILLED SIX PEOPLE? Come on, Juliet, you're better than that.


Jane Eyre from Jane Eyre: I think Jane and Mr. Rochester have amazing chemistry but let's be honest: Rochester is a problematic fave. Let's not forget that he literally locked his wife in the attic and then lied to his second wife about it. What exactly in that scenario suggests great husband material?


Sansa Stark from Game of Thrones: In no way can Sansa's marriage to Ramsay Bolton be described as a relationship because he was abusive and she was in no way able to give any form of consent. Really I'm just angry the writers gave her that storyline at all; she deserved better than to be abused in that way, especially after already spending so long at Joffrey's mercy.


Tauriel from The Hobbit movies: I love the fact that someone thought 'we can't ask little girls to sit through 9 hours of film without a single main female character', but they butchered any progress when they created Tauriel just to act as eye candy. There didn't seem to be any depth to her character, instead she was a watered-down mix of Eowyn and Arwen.


Marianne Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility and Lydia Bennet from Pride and Prejudice: I'm putting these two together because I think they'd be good friends if they met, and I'd love to see the two of them travelling around Europe together, Marianne could play her music and Lydia could act on the stage, because frankly they both deserved better marriages than the ones they end up in. Especially Marianne, because at Lydia can hold her own and still have a bit of fun with Wickham, whereas Marianne gets a General who, while he may be lovely, is far too boring for her.


Desdemona from Othello: Othello's a prick. That is all.


Anna from Frozen: Elsa won't let her marry a guy she's known for a day, but apparently a guy she's known for two days is fine. I don't really like Frozen anyway, I think it's full of plotholes and one day I may write a post about it, and this is one of the reasons why. It tried to be witty with its 'oh isn't it funny how Disney princesses marry men they barely know?' only to repeat the same mistake.


Snow White from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: The Disney one's fine, albeit old-fashioned, but in the original tale the Prince carries Snow White away while he thinks she's dead, only for the apple to dislodge from her throat and wake her up. In other words, the original Snow White marries a necrophile. Poor girl.

What did you talk about this week?

23 comments:

  1. I agree so much with Sansa and Tauriel. They both deserved so much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post so much!! was smiling most of the time))) great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your topic! I'm a big Peeta shipper but I haaaate how Mockingjay ended. Hate it! I probably would've liked Katniss single just as much as I liked how it actually ended. I'm also a ginormous Friends fan. I've watched them a million times and I've never thought that about Ross. I totally see it now that you mention it though. I'll probably always have that in the back of my head when I watch now. I did adore the Rachel and Joey story line. They had fabulous chemistry! You gave me all kinds of things to think about. :)
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! ^_^ Yeah, I'm just not a big Ross fan. I think he can an amazing friend, but he's not a particularly good boyfriend.

      Delete
  4. Hi! Great list. I agree with every single one! (except I don't watch Game of Thrones and don't remember The Hobbit that well.) I really really agree about Katniss. I'll never understand how someone as strong as Katniss would end up with a little wimp like Peeta. :)
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think Peeta's a wimp, I really like how he subverts gender roles as much as Katniss does, I just don't like how other characters hold Peeta against her and constantly make her feel as though she doesn't deserve him. I even understand why the two of them make sense as a couple after they go through so much together, but I always read Katniss as aromantic and the epilogue of Mockingjay leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :\

      Delete
  5. This is great list! very unique! I need to catch up with a GoT and I need to watch the Hobbit!
    check our TTT and there is a link on top to a giveaway.
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent points, some of these! Especially on Jane Eyre -- okay, they have chemistry, but... Rochester is just so erratic and... nah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I 100% agree with your point about Rachel, Ross and her were never great together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Juliet should have definitely stayed single! Ha! I agree with so many on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, great list! I can't argue with any of these (except I swoon over Colonel Brandon because Alan Rickman...). I wish I'd thought of this topic -- I drew a total blank this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Yeah if Colonel Brandon was Alan Rickman I'd probably marry him too, but the Colonel himself always seemed a little boring to me. =\

      Delete
  10. Okay so. You knew I'd come running, it's like calling Beetlejuice or something with the mention of Peeta ;) I DO see what you are saying, I do. BUT, I must share my own opinion, as one does haha. So- my thing with Prim is, I don't think it would have been healthy for Katniss to spend her whole life protecting Prim. And even if Prim was able to function on her own (which, I think she could have) I don't think Katniss could have ever let go, not after all she'd been through. So Katniss and Prim's relationship would have strained as Prim grew older, I think. And also, I am 100% here for Peeta, obviously.

    Now, here is one where I WILL agree with you wholeheartedly: RACHEL. So, she finally gets the gumption to be her OWN WOMAN, after all the struggles, and the leaving Barry and moving to NYC, and she is here, making a life for herself, and AlbatRoss comes in to prevent her from living her dreams. NIce job, assface. AND I wholly agree that she and Joey had TONS more chemistry than she and Ross ever did. I dare say that had they not done that incredibly stupid "Joey" spinoff, it could have ended differently. But alas.

    Have to agree with Juliet, he was pretty much... well, a Ross bwahhah. And I read Jane Eyre but... let's be honest here, I SKIMMED Jane Eyre like, 20 years ago so who knows. Anyway, I LOVE this post- I needed this post, tbh (Valentine's Day makes me stabby bwhaha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a very good point about Katniss and Prim! I hadn't really considered that before, but I'm afraid I'm never going to be happy with Katniss and Peeta ending up together. =P I do understand why so many people like them together, though.

      YES. Ross is the worst. Also I am definitely calling him AlbatRoss from now on, ahahaha.

      Thanks for stopping by, Shannon!

      Delete
  11. 100% agree with Rachel and Tauriel. And I didn't like the end of Mockingjay either but more because I really didn't ever think Katniss would actually have kids. And if I think about it a lot, then I know Peeta and Katniss would not have ended up together, probably for this reason and because honestly? Katniss just went through way too much to be able to live out a normal life afterwards. But I like to pretend that they lived happily ever after in their own little world because I love Peeta.
    Also, I just have to say, I really love Frozen and Anna and Kristoff. But I can understand why not everyone does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to Frozen, I just didn't like it anywhere near as much as I hoped I would. =(

      Delete
  12. Fun post, Jess! I have to disagree about Col. Brandon though (Marianne Dashwood). I think, in the end, after the journey she goes on (both literally and emotionally), Brandon is exactly who Marianne needs. I like that Katniss ended up with Peeta, but I also don't know that he was "THE ONE" she should have ended up with. Peeta was always just, kind of, "there." He was a support, but I don't know that I think he and Katniss were ideal for each other. Not sure if this makes sense, but anyway... that's my ramble. ;)

    ReplyDelete