Wednesday 9 November 2016

Books to Encourage Acceptance and Equality

America has decided, and in doing so the country has taken one step forward and two steps back, electing a man who is a sexist, racist, ableist, transphobic, homophobic, xenophobic, power-hungry, nasty little man who, despite being a very wealthy businessman, can't afford a more natural looking toupee.

First Brexit and now this. 2016 is looking more and more like the beginning of a dystopian novel. I feel very disheartened today, and I'm frightened for the kind of world we now live in, where it's more acceptable to sexually assault women than it is to use the wrong email address, but I refuse to stop fighting, in the little ways I can, each and every day. If someone says something inappropriate I will forever call them out on it, however annoyed it makes them, and I will always shout out for what I believe to be right. I refuse to let hatred win.


And to all of my American friends, and all American people, who have woken up today feeling unsafe in the country they call home, I can only say I'm here for you - as are the rest of Britain's 48%.


So I'm not going to be gloomy today, instead I'm going to turn to what I always turn to when I'm feeling low: books. Today I'm going to share ten books with you, five I've read and five that are on my TBR, that encourage equality, acceptance and love above all things, because heaven knows we need it today of all days.



To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: A classic, yes, but a book we can still learn from. I only read this for the first time last year and I fell in love with it, I can understand why so many teachers get their students to read this in school. If more people were like Atticus Finch, the world would be a better place!


Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley: Talley's heart-wrenching debut takes place in 1959, when black children were first admitted to previously all-white schools in the US, and focuses on the relationship that develops between two girls, one black and one white. It'll make you think, and given the current racial issues in the US I think it's an important book to read.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers: One of my favourite books of all time and one of the most hopeful books I've ever read. Chambers uses her sci-fi setting to explore race, gender, sexuality, war, peace, family units and what it means to be human. It's exquisite and you need to read it if you haven't already.

Ms. Marvel by G. Willow Wilson and Various Artists: A wonderful graphic novel series starring an American-Muslim girl written by an American-Muslim woman. Read it!

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: This is such a quick read that I think it should be required reading in schools worldwide. It's a wonderful introduction to feminism, particularly for anyone out there you know who keeps confusing feminism for misandry.


The Inconvenient Indian by Thomas King: I'm planning to pick this up next, once I finish Lucy Jones's Foxes Unearthed, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sure parts of it are going to be heartbreaking but I think it's an important book to read because I know so very little about the history of North America's indigenous people, and I'm very eager to learn.

Binti by Nnedi Okorafor: A novella I'm hoping to read very soon. It's giving me The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet vibes; I've heard wonderful things about Okorafor's stories and I'm really looking forward to the kind of cultures she's imagined in her sci-fi universe.

The Good Immigrant edited by Nikesh Shukla: I had the pleasure of seeing Nikesh Shukla speak at the London Book Fair this year and this edited volume of essays written by immigrants has never been more necessary than it is right now. I've seen fantastic reviews and I'm hoping to get my hands on a copy soon.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson: A novel that takes place in a small English village where a retired British Major strikes up a friendship with a Pakistani shopkeeper over their shared love of literature. When their friendship turns into something more, it's up to him to stand up to the racism and xenophobia in their village. I've heard lovely things about this one.

Kaleidoscope edited by Alisa Krasnostein and Julia Rios: An anthology of diverse YA sci-fi and fantasy stories, featuring characters who are transgender, disabled, LGBT+ and poc.

Stay positive but be sad if you need to be sad. Ultimately, just remember that love trumps hate.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for a lovely post. It's been an awful, excruciating day. Turning to good books is always a good move.

    Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment! I hope these books have managed to offer some small comfort.

      Delete
  2. I also think We Should All be Feminists should be required reading. It's so short, but so powerful. I'd never seen The Good Immigrant before, but it looks really interesting. I'll have to read that one too. Great post, I think a lot of people could use this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I don't understand why We Should All Be Feminists isn't handed out in schools - it gets the message across brilliantly.

      Delete
  3. The news has been so depressing this year. I just finished re-reading Harry Potter 4, and it felt oddly relevant... haha. To Kill a Mockingbird is definitely a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry Potter is always a good series to turn to when everything else feels a bit rubbish!

      Delete
  4. It's been really hard on my country the past couple days. What a great way to remind ua all that this fight isn't over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fabulous list, Jess! Thank you SO much for sharing it. You are so right, we DO need this more than ever. I have opened them on Goodreads to check out. This is so... it's still so unreal. And the worst part is? The majority of the country didn't EVEN vote for him. This is NOT what the people wanted. A full 1.7 MILLION more of us wanted the side of good. Yet somehow... somehow this is still a thing. Two fulls weeks later and I am STILL not okay. I won't ever be, and I think that's a good thing- we can't be okay with it. I cannot even begin to tell you how great it is though to have allies like you all over the world. It means SO MUCH, and I thank you for it. And I am sorry that our country let down the rest of the world. ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it! The same happened with Brexit, too; 52% voted to leave the EU, but they only actually make up 37% of the population because of all the people who chose not to vote and those who couldn't vote. That doesn't really seem like democracy to me. The best thing we can hope for now is that art, in all its forms, continues to fight the good fight - as it always has done. =) It's a real comfort to know that so many people, all around the world, are horrified by what's happening right now and I continue to believe that good will win out in the end.

      Delete