Wednesday 10 August 2016

This Week in Books | 10/08/16


This week I'm joining in with Lipsy @ Lipsyy Lost & Found to talk about the books I've been reading recently!


Now: I'm actually in the middle of several books right now, as I have been all year so far, but right now I'm most actively reading Sarah Perry's The Essex Serpent, which explores the relationship between religion, science and folklore. The cover's beautiful and it's written wonderfully - I'm enjoying it so far!

Then: I finally introduced myself to Muriel Spark with her most famous piece of work, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. I read it in one sitting and while it's not usually the kind of thing I'd read, and a few years ago I probably wouldn't have liked it at all, I did enjoy it; in fact this is the first book I've read where I can genuinely say I enjoyed the way it was written, the structure of the story, more than the story itself, but that didn't make me enjoy it any less which is unusual for me simply because I prefer story to writing technique. It's made me want to read more of Spark's work!

Next: I recently received an eARC of Robin Talley's As I Descended, a modern day lesbian retelling of Macbeth, and I can't wait to get to it. Talley's one of the few YA authors I actively follow, I've read both of her previous novels, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she's adapted my favourite Shakespeare play.

What have you been reading recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment