Friday 24 June 2016

The Indecent Minority

Screw you Farage. Today I'm ashamed to be English, and proud to be part of the 'indecent minority' who voted to remain in the EU. 75% of people in my age group voted to remain, so I will have to live with the consequences of the older generation's decision long after they've passed away.

I'm glad to live in a country where I have a right to vote, where we are a democracy, and now that the UK has decided I suppose we'll have to do our best with what we have, but we've lost more money this morning alone than we ever would have 'lost' giving to the EU. Farage has already claimed money once given to the EU will not be going into the NHS, despite many people voting Leave because they thought that's where the money would be going. This is what happens when you put your faith in a man like Nigel Farage.

I'm devastated. I want to be part of the EU - I want to live in a Britain that gives as much as it takes, not a Britain that tries to take as much as it can without giving back. I want to live in a Britain that isn't against immigration, that isn't ruled by racism and xenophobia. There's no such thing as 'Great' Britain, because we were never 'great'. There's no such thing as a United Kingdom, because judging by the way things are likely to go Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson will go down in history as the people who split the UK, and if it does split I'm hoping the Scots won't mind if I go and live with them instead.

Today's a sad, sad day.

2 comments:

  1. The decision was truly heart breaking. Especially since the majority won by such a small margin. Even though I am not from the UK it truly saddens me. Hope things wont be as bad as they seem to be

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted Remain, campaigned too and am one of the older generation. I'm truly appalled by this result. How dare older people limit the life chances of younger people? But I'm not giving up. I urge all who support Remain to do all they can to prevent us from leaving. Sign up to petitions. Wear a I voted Remain badge. Keep arguing the case.
    Parliament still has to approve this. Write to and lobby your local MP saying you want her/him to vote against legislation which facilitates our exit. Don't give up. In Ireland they had a second referendum about the Nice treaty and got a different result from the first.

    ReplyDelete