Sunday 11 October 2015

My 2015 Reading Goals: An Update

At the end of last year I set myself an incredibly ambitious set of reading goals for 2015, and I want to see how I've done so far!


Goal No.1: Complete 10 series



Nope. Not even close. In fact I don't think I've finished any...

Goal No.2: The Retelling Challenge

So this challenge basically meant that after I signed up for the challenge, I wanted to make sure I took part, and I have! I haven't read a huge amount of retellings - I think sometimes they can get a little samey if you read too many - but I have read White Ravens by Owen Sheers, The Meat Tree by Gwyneth Lewis, Fairest by Marissa Meyer, The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman, Fables, Vol.1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham and Various Artists and Uprooted by Naomi Novik. So right now that puts me in the Magic Mirror category - hooray!

Goal No.3: Read 5 Classics


I'VE COMPLETED THIS ONE! I'm so pleased I have, too, because I don't think I read any classics at all last year. Looking at the books I've read this year I've actually read more than 5, so I'm really chuffed!

I've read: A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf, The Great God Pan and Other Stories by Arthur Machen, The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson, Lolly Willowes by Sylvia Townsend Warner, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley and The Poor Clare by Elizabeth Gaskell. Almost double what I wanted!

Goal No.4: Read At Least 3 2015 Debuts

Another one I've completed, hooray! I didn't read any 2014 debuts last year, and barely any books that weren't actually published in 2014, and that was something I really wanted to change this year. So far I've read Signal to Noise by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (which everyone should read immediately), Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon, Lorelai, You'll Never Die by Laura Konrad and Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli.

Goal No.5: Read More Short Story Collections

I've certainly bought plenty of short story collections, but I need to get better at reading them. I've read Through the Woods by Emily Carroll and American Vampire, Vol.6 by Various Artists which are both technically collections of short stories, so I guess they count!

Goal No.6: Read More Poetry Collections

I haven't read a bunch but, thanks to work, I've read Judas by Damian Walford Davies and The Art of Falling by Kim Moore! I've bought a few other collections, too, so there's still plenty of poetry I'd like to read.

Goal No.7: Read More Non-Fiction

This I have done, and I've been loving it! So far I've read A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf, Jane Eyre's Sisters: How Women Live and Write the Heroine's Story by Jody Gentian Bower, How To Be a Heroine by Samantha Ellis, Beyond the Pale: Folklore, Family and the Mystery of our Hidden Genes by Emily Urquhart and We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Goal No.8: Reread Harry Potter


I still haven't managed this! I love Harry Potter, I love it so much, but I own so many books that I haven't read once I feel like I'm not allowed to reread this series, which I know is silly. I will reread them at some point. I will.

So that's my reading progress so far this year! Apart from the laughable attempt to finish ten series, particularly stupid for someone like me who is a terrible finisher, I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm happy anyway - I've done better than I thought!

How is your reading progress? Did you set yourself any goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment