Monday 15 December 2014

The 2015 Fairytale Challenge!

The Daily Prophecy
Throughout 2015, Mel from The Daily Prophecy will be hosting the Fairytale Challenge!

  • The challenge runs from January 1st to December 31st 2015
  • The goal is simply to read retellings (fairytale or not!) throughout 2015. The book doesn't have to be published in 2015 and rereads count! 
  • There are 6 different levels you can aim for:
    - Prince Charming (1 - 4 Books)
    - Magic Mirror (5 - 9 Books)
    - Big Bad Wolf (10 - 15 Books)
    - The Wise Princess (16 - 20 Books)
    - Wicked Fairy Godmother (21 - 25 Books)
    - Bluebeard (26+ Books)
You can join this challenge up until December 31st 2014 by leaving a link to your introduction post here!

I grew up on Grimm's Tales, so I've loved fairytales and fairytale retellings for years. So, naturally, I just had to take part in this challenge. I won't be limiting myself to just fairytale retellings, as much as I love them, because there are so many amazing retellings out there that focus more on folk tales and even classics and I want to read as many of them as I  can!

Here are the retellings I'd like to read in 2015:


by Marissa Meyer

by Marissa Meyer
Retelling of: Snow White

by Diana Peterfreund
Retelling of: Persuasion

by Stacey Jay
Retelling of: Beauty and the Beast

by Jane Nickerson
Retelling of: Tam Lin

by Carol Ann Duffy

by Ben H. Winters
Retelling of: Sense and Sensibility

by Genevieve Valentine
Retelling of: The Twelve Dancing Princesses

by Isaac Marion
Retelling of: Romeo and Juliet

by Rosamund Hodge
Retelling of: Beauty and the Beast

&

New Stories from The Mabinogion

This month I started my new job at Seren Books, an independent publisher in South Wales, who over the past few years have published retellings of the eleven stories in The Mabinogion, old Welsh folk tales based on Celtic mythology, and in 2015 I'm going to try and read them all! I'm particularly eager to read The Meat Tree by Gwyneth Lewis, White Ravens by Owen Sheers, and The Prince's Pen by Horatio Clare.

If I saw even one other person read a Mabinogion retelling I'd be thrilled; it'd be wonderful to see everyone reading retellings that aren't the typical Grimm's Fairy Tales retellings.

If you'd like to know more about the New Stories from The Mabinogion series, you can find out more here!

Are you taking part in the challenge throughout 2015?

4 comments:

  1. I love that you picked so many other types of retellings as well! :) Cruel beauty was one of the best books I've read in 2014 and now belongs to my list of favorite retellings. Happy reading and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot of great things about it, hopefully I can get my hands on a copy soon! =D

      Delete
  2. I am going to do the challenge too! I love me some re-tellings!
    New follower :)
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings
    Enter my blog birthday giveaway!

    ReplyDelete