Wednesday 31 December 2014

My 2015 Reading Goals!

It's New Year's Eve!

To celebrate the coming arrival of 2015, I've given myself some reading challenges for throughout the new year. I'm not going to put too much pressure on myself - if I don't complete these challenges then I don't, and that's fine - but sometimes challenges can be the push that we need to make us read out of our comfort zone, or to make us read at all!

Goal No.1 - Complete 10 Series

Whether I've already started them or I start and finish them in 2o15, I want to try and complete 10 series in 2015 because I read a lot of standalones in 2014. That isn't a bad thing - I love me a good standalone - but I've been missing series lately, and I'm hoping I might discover some amazing ones with this challenge.

Possible candidates for this challenge:
  1. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
  2. Dust Lands Trilogy by Moira Young
  3. Healer Trilogy by Maria V. Snyder
  4. Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray
  5. Women of the Underworld Series by Kelley Armstrong
  6. All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness
  7. Eon Duology by Alison Goodman
  8. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater
  9. Skulduggery Pleasant Series by Derek Landy
  10. Parasitology Trilogy by Mira Grant
  11. Tudor Witch Trilogy by Victoria Lamb
  12. Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik
  13. Vivian Apple Duology by Katie Coyle
  14. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  15. The Blood Books by Tanya Huff
Goal No.2 - The Retelling Challenge

Throughout 2015 I'm going to take part in the Retelling Challenge, hosted by Mel at The Daily Prophecy. You can find my introduction post here!

Here's a list of retellings I'd like to try and get under my belt:
  1. For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
  2. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
  3. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
  4. Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay
  5. Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters
  6. The Meat Tree by Gwyneth Lewis
  7. White Ravens by Owen Sheers
  8. The Prince's Pen by Horatio Clare
  9. The Mirk and Midnight Hour by Jane Nickerson
  10. Winter by Marissa Meyer
  11. The Girls at the Kingfisher Club by Genevieve Valentine
Goal No. 3 - Read 5 Classics

I don't think I read any classics in 2014, which is pretty shocking.

Possible candidates for this challenge:
  1. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë
  2. Villette by Charlotte Brontë
  3. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  4. Persuasion by Jane Austen
  5. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Goal No. 4 - Read At Least 3 2015 Debuts

I also didn't read a single debut novel in 2014 - in fact, other than Cress and My True Love Gave to Me, I'm not even sure if I read any books that were published in 2014. As I've mentioned before, I'm not very good at staying on top of the trends!

Possible candidates for this challenge:
  1. The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker
  2. The Well by Catherine Chanter
  3. The Hourglass Factory by Lucy Ribchester
Goal No. 5 - Read More Short Story Collections

I read My True Love Gave to Me this month, and it made me realise both how much I enjoy short story collections and how few of them I've read. I own a few, and there are a few I'd like to own, so I'm going to try and read some more in 2015!

Possible candidates for this challenge:
  1. Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories by Various
  2. Love Hurts by Various
  3. Jigs and Reels by Joanne Harris
  4. The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson
  5. Don't Look Now and Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier
  6. His Last Fire by Alix Nathan
  7. Magic For Beginners by Kelly Link
  8. Across the Wall by Garth Nix
Goal No. 6 - Read More Poetry Collections

I managed to read more poetry this year than I thought I would, so I'd like to read some more in 2015!

Possible candidates for this challenge:
  1. Faery Tales by Carol Ann Duffy
  2. The Shape of a Forest by Jemma L. King
Goal No. 7 - Read More Non-Fiction

I only read two pieces of non-fiction in 2014, so I'd like to read some more in the coming year.

Possible candidates for this challenge:
  1. The Creation of Anne Boleyn by Susan Bordo
  2. This Book is Gay by James Dawson
  3. The Penguin Book of Witches by Katherine Howe
  4. A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
  5. Witches: A Tale of Scandal, Sorcery and Seduction by Tracy Borman
Goal No. 8 - Reread Harry Potter

Every year I tell myself I'm going to reread the Harry Potter series, and each year I manage not to. In 2015 I really want to make myself reread them - I miss Hogwarts!

What are your reading plans for 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment