Wednesday 13 August 2014

What's Up Wednesday! | 13/08/14

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk as a way for writers and readers to stay in touch!

What I'm Reading

I haven't done any reading in a while because uni stress has been taking over my life, but yesterday I started re-reading The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe, which is a book I first read and really enjoyed a couple of years ago. Honestly it's very rarely that I re-read books, but I was really in the mood for this one.

I recommend it to any fans of witches out there!

What I'm Writing

As always, I'm working on my portfolio.

What Inspires Me Right Now

As heartbroken as I'm pretty sure the whole world is right now after the tragic news of Robin Williams' death on Monday, it's actually been really inspiring to see so many people all over the world, people he never even met in person, pay their respects and mourn him together. He was so talented and he was such a huge part of my childhood; he was in Aladdin, Flubber, Jumanji, Mrs Doubtfire, Hook, The Dead Poets Society, Night at the Museum and so many other films I saw when I was younger, and he'll be sorely missed.

I'm going to leave a link here to a list of worldwide suicide hotlines, because it's a sad truth that when a celebrity commits suicide then suicide rates rise. If you're contemplating suicide then please confide in anyone you trust and/or feel comfortable with. You're not alone.




What Else I've Been Up To

On Friday I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy with a few of my friends and I think it might be my new favourite Marvel movie. I loved it so much! Groot is so damn adorable and I think Rocket might be my spirit animal - he's short and angry, just like me!

I haven't laughed so much throughout a film in such a long time, and it was really nice to just laugh for a couple of hours. I love films that take you away from all of your worries like that. I definitely recommend going to see it if you haven't already!



What's new with you?

14 comments:

  1. The Robin Williams' news was a big shock on so many levels.
    And Guardians is on my list...just have to get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's sad when any celebrity passes away, but I think this might be the first celebrity death that really upset me. As a child of the 90s he was in pretty much every film I grew up watching. Hopefully he's at peace now.

      Delete
  2. My kids saw Guardians of the Galaxy, but I haven't had time yet. Groot loses a little in translation, so I can't wait to see him for real.

    I have always loved Robin Williams, and he has always seemed so incredibly sad to me. It is a tragedy he never found the help he needed in this life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it - Groot's adorable!

      It's very sad. I just hope he's found peace now.

      Delete
  3. I LOVED Guardians of the Galaxy too. Groot was totally my favorite. Isn't it awesome when they build a cast that totally sets off each and every character? I'm seriously hoping a TV series will spin off from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's adorable, isn't he? :D In fact if anyone got a TV show I just want to see a spin-off about the adventures of Groot and Rocket!

      Delete
  4. I'm absolutely horrified and disgusted at how some of the pseudoscience/alternative "medicine" crowd has already begun using Mr. Williams's death to push their agenda against pharmaceutical drugs and to promote nonsense like homeopathy. These people have absolutely no respect for the dead, and no shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, people suck. I prefer to concentrate on the millions of people who are paying their respects and mourning together across the world.

      Delete
  5. The news about Robin Williams really hit hard. He's touched so many lives in more ways than one. :(
    Good luck with your portfolio. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved GotG too, more than I thought I would. It was hilarious!
    And sad sad news about Robin Williams. He'll be missed by everyone. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great, isn't it? :D

      He really will, he seemed like such a kind soul.

      Delete
  7. I absolutely loved Guardians of the Galaxy! Such a good, fun film.

    So sad to hear about Robin Williams. :(

    ReplyDelete