Tuesday 13 February 2018

Top Ten Tuesday | All You Need is Love (and Books)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted at That Artsy Reader Girl. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is a love themed freebie, so today I thought I'd talk about my bookish otps. I usually struggle with otps - something I've mentioned before is that, for whatever reason, I have more otps from films and tv shows than books - but today I decided to challenge myself to sit down and think about the romantic couples in books I love and was pleasantly surprised to discover that almost half of them are from books I read last year!

(Please be aware that there may be some spoilers in this post if you're the kind of reader who doesn't like to know who ends up with who!)



Cinder and Kai from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer: There are plenty of sweet couples in this series, Cress and Thorne are especially adorable, but I've always had a soft spot for these dorks.



Judith and Lucas from All the Truth That's in Me by Julie Berry: I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did and I loved it, and I was especially surprised by how much I enjoyed the relationship between these two.



Monty and Percy from The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee: Well done romances that grow from friendship are hard to do - quite often they come across as a little lazy to me - but the relationship between Monty and Percy was my favourite thing about this book.



Molly and Reid from The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli: These two are just the cutest nerdy, body-positive couple and I love them.



Saba and Jack from Blood Red Road by Moira Young: When it comes to fictional characters I have a genuine soft spot for guys called Ben and Jack and I love this Jack in particular, but I loved Saba even more and their chemistry is fantastic.



Achilles and Patroclus from The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller: I went into mourning after I finished this book and I adored the way Miller wrote the relationship between these two from childhood through to adulthood. If you haven't read this book yet you're severely missing out.



Rosemary and Sissix from The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers: The relationship between Rosemary and Sissix was such a pleasant surprise. I loved their chemistry and hoped something might happen but thought 'nah, the author's probably not going down that road' and then she did! This book is another one of my all-time favourites.



Meche and Sebastian from Signal to Noise by Silvia Moreno-Garcia: The above quotation is one of my favourites and always tugs at my heart. This is another one of my favourite novels and I loved the relationship between Meche and Sebastian, both their awkward teen years and their awkward reunion as adults. This is another example of platonic to romantic love done exceptionally well.



Laura and Carmilla from Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu: Definitely not exactly the healthiest relationship on this list, but Carmilla is one of my favourite classics and I've always loved the strange, intoxicating relationship between Laura and Carmilla.



Maia and Csethiro from The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison: If someone held a gun to my head and asked me to pick my favourite novel of all time, this is the novel I'd pick. What I love about the relationship between Maia and Csethiro is that we only ever see its potential, but I love the way they interact with each other and I love that they work at becoming friends before anything else.

What did you talk about this week?

11 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these, but I do have to agree that I probably have more TV and movie (especially TV) ships than book ones. Romance tends to bother me more in books than on screen, I don't know why!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/13/top-ten-tuesday-146/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I think there's so much more chemistry we can actually see in TV - especially if two actors have great chemistry.

      Delete
  2. I've not read any of these, but I finally have copies of The Upside of Unrequited and The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue! I can't wait to read them both.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary and Sissix *nods* I wish now I would have used that one on my list. :)

    I seem to have a lot more ships in TV/ movies than books too, come to think on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see more of the crew from the first book in the future, I miss them. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Cinder & Kai were cute--- I have to admit that I was a Cinder & Thorne shipper. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I WANTED IT TO!!! Great list!! I always have trouble coming up with book OTPs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did have really good chemistry, but personally I loved their friendship - especially as friendship between men and women is so underrated in fiction!

      Delete
  5. What a great approach to this post -- I love the way you superimposed the quotes over the book covers. Great choices! Of the ones I've read, I'm definitely on board with Kai and Cinder, and with Monty and Percy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cinder and Kai are the cutest! I was definitely shipping them from the first time they met :)

    ReplyDelete