Wednesday 25 February 2015

What's Up Wednesday! | 25/02/15

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk as a way for writers and readers to stay in touch!

What I'm Reading

My reading habits have been a bit all over the place this last week; I've found myself dipping in and out of things rather than just focusing on one book.

I started Relic by Renee Collins, which is one of those stories with an amazing premise that just hasn't been executed to the best of its ability. It's set in the Wild West during the 19th century, where the fossils of long-extinct mythical and fantastical creatures can be mined for magic. That's a brilliant idea! But so far the way the story's written just isn't living up to the plot. I think Collins' imagination is fantastic, but in my opinion this book could have done with more editing and a few more drafts because for the most part it feels quite juvenile.

I also started Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire. Seanan McGuire is the real name of author Mira Grant, and I think we all know by now how much I love the Newsflesh trilogy. Rosemary and Rue is urban fantasy featuring faeries; I don't tend to read many books involving faeries, but I'm enjoying this one so far!

And this morning on the bus I started Mistress Firebrand by Donna Thorland. It's released on March 3rd and Donna very kindly sent me an ARC, so I want to read it and schedule the review for the release date. I've only read the first chapter so far, but I think I'm going to enjoy it!

What I'm Writing

I wrote a blurb for my SNI. I know that probably sounds crazy because I haven't even started writing it yet, but writing blurbs really gets me pumped for a project. I guess this counts as my 'What Works For Me', too!

What Else Is New

Don't forget to sign up for my Forgotten Histories Reading Challenge! ;)

I finally got my own computer at work! Now instead of jumping onto whoever's computer just happens to be free, I have my own shiny new Mac. I'm still getting used to using them, and I think I'm always going to prefer PCs because I'm just old fashioned that way, but it's certainly a cool computer and I can't help feeling very professional and important. Even if I do just spend some days on Twitter.

(I'm not slacking, I promise - part of my job involves me being in charge of a Twitter account and a Facebook page, so I end up doing a lot of social media stuff...)

Speaking of which, the main reason I got this job is because Seren were looking for someone to help organise the centenary celebrations of Alun Lewis, a WW2 writer who died under rather tragic circumstances when he was just 29. I'm in charge of a Twitter account and Facebook page for his centenary, and I'd really appreciate it if any of you could follow the Twitter account and/or like the page!

What's new with you?

25 comments:

  1. Writing a blurb sounds like a great way to focus on a SNI. Hope it works out for you ^_^

    Have a brilliant week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always write a logline and blurb before I start properly planning a new idea. It really helps me focus on the conflict. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there is anything crazy about writing the blurb first. I always write up a query and try for a one-line pitch too. It really helps me focus :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the focus that really helps. Writing a blurb makes me feel like I actually have a plot rather than a few characters just dithering about!

      Delete
  4. I've seen several writers recommend writing the blurb first. I write one and a basic query before really hitting the first draft just to make sure the basic story line really makes sense. It's amazing how great things can seem in the mind, but when one tries to write in out, it doesn't work anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true, plenty of times in the past I've thought of an idea that I just haven't been able to get down on paper!

      Delete
  5. Having your own computer at work is definitely nice, =) Good luck with the centenary...I'm following on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, fellow unicorn enthusiast!! (my current WIP is full of unicorns).

    That idea for Relic does sound amazing!!! Too bad the writing isn't holding up. But maybe the juvenile feel works for some readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -highfive- Hello!

      I'm sure it does - it certainly has quite a few high ratings on Goodreads - I just wish it was a little more to my taste because I love the idea so much. Perhaps the writing will get better as the story goes along!

      Delete
  7. I don't think it's crazy to have a blurb for a SNI. I know a lot of people who write out queries for their new ideas (I probably should) so they know that they actually have what qualifies as a story. It seems like it would be a great planning tool. That's so interesting about that centenary project you're working on. Heading on over to FB and Twitter to check it out... Have a great week, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that's why the blurb has helped me - it's made me recognise that I do have a plot!

      Thanks, Jaime! =)

      Delete
  8. I always write blurbs for new projects before I start drafting. Even if the premise changes eventually, I've found that the exercise helps me narrow down what I want the project to really be about. So, we're obviously both super smart about this whole writing thing. :-) Have an awesome week, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, obviously we must be! Thanks Katy, you too! =)

      Delete
  9. I've never gotten into blurb writing, probably because I suck at them! I'm glad it works for you, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, blurbs can be very difficult to do! This one just happened by accident. =)

      Delete
  10. I've heard of other writers doing blurbs for new projects, and I think it's a fantastic idea! I am following your Twitter account for the WW2 veteran. Good luck with all your projects and keeping momentum this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think writing a blurb for a SNI is a great way to stay focused. I've heard lots of people mention that they even write a query letter first before drafting, so you're in good company. I've often thought I should try doing that. Glad to hear you're getting pumped about this project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I suspect after using your shiny new Mac for a while you will be converted! I HEART MY MAC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also write a blurb before writing. It's such a huge help for figuring out exactly what this book is about. I usually don't refer to it after the first draft, but it's a helpful reminder as I'm writing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Once you go Mac, you never go back! I've been with the Mac since OS 1.0 back in '84, and find PCs a lot harder to navigate, much less intuitive. It's been said that a user of the original Mac could be sent into the present day and still easily find his or her way around a modern Mac, since the basic operating system is so simple and similar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blurbs are so helpful - great idea to do it first! I love your history challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the new computer and congrats on having a job that pays you to hang out on twitter. *grin* Nice work if you can get it.

    And I'm with everyone else, I often write blurbs or queries for SNI's. It helps me decide which ones to actually write. And points out which ideas of mine are actually rambling nonsense with no conflict. :)

    Hope you have an amazing week with shiny new words on shiny new ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete