Friday 24 October 2014

Historical Film Recommendations!

On Monday I talked about some of my favourite historical/period dramas - you can find that post here! - so today I thought I'd recommend some of my favourite historical films.

There's a whole variety of films here, so whether you like serious dramas or something a little more adventurous there's something here for everyone!



The Mummy, dir. by Stephen Sommers (1999)

The Mummy is usually classed as an adventure film, or even a dark fantasy film, but given that the beginning of the film takes place in Ancient Egypt and the rest of the film takes place in the '20s it's also a historical film. I never get bored of this film, and I've watched it so many times that my disc is starting to skip because it's wearing out! It's fun and entertaining, and a great source of escapism. The 2001 sequel, The Mummy Returns, is also a great film. We don't talk about the third one. Never.



Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, dir. by Gore Verbinski (2003)

Another fun one, and one that pretty much everyone in the world has seen. This, like The Mummy, is one of my all time favourite films and I love it. Jack Sparrow was my first ever character crush and he's held a special place in my heart ever since. This film put pirate stories back on the map.



Elizabeth, dir. by Shekhar Kapur (1998)

Here we have a more serious film, but it's well worth a watch. Elizabeth tells the story of the rise of Elizabeth I to the English monarchy and all the danger, lust and heartbreak that comes with it. Cate Blanchett is an enchanting Elizabeth. The 2007 sequel, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, is worth checking out, too!



Braveheart, dir. by Mel Gibson (1995)

There are dozens and dozens of historical inaccuracies throughout Braveheart, so much so that one of the history professors at my university cringed at the mere mention of it, but it's still one of my favourite films of all time. It might not be a particularly accurate portrayal of William Wallace's life, but at its heart it's a story brimming with courage and empathy. And it doesn't hurt that I love every single costume Sophie Marceau wears.



Marie Antoinette, dir. by Sofia Coppola (2006)

I didn't actually get around to watching Marie Antoinette until the beginning of this year, and it's a shame I waited so long to watch it because I really enjoyed it! Like Pompeii, this film has a brilliant soundtrack for a completely different reason; the soundtrack is full of '80s new wave and post-punk music, but each song used, from Hong Kong Garden to I Want Candy, sums up Marie Antoinette perfectly. I recommend this film for sleepovers involving cake and face masks!

Which films do you love?

2 comments:

  1. I love Elizabeth and Marie Antoinette! The scenery and costume design in Marie are just breathtaking and I love the pastel color palate! Elizabeth is one of my favorite historical women and I love the way she was portrayed in that movie, her strength and fierceness really shows through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, even if the subject matter doesn't interest people Marie Antoinette is still worth watching because it's just so pretty! And Cate Blanchett is a wonderful Elizabeth I. =D

      Delete