Wednesday 28 May 2014

What's Up Wednesday! | 28/05/14

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk as a way for writers and readers to stay in touch!

What I'm Reading

Right now I'm a little bit over halfway through Deadline, the second book in the Newsflesh trilogy, and I've already cried. I'm loving this trilogy so much, and it's recently revealed something that I definitely did not expect. I'm probably going to have to go out and buy myself a copy of Blackout once I'm done with it; I have to know how this story ends.

It's also been a while since I picked up Maria V. Snyder's Scent of Magic, which I started pack in April. I'm hoping I can finish it and read Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl in the next couple of days, before I make a start on my June TBR, but that all depends on what kind of mood Deadline leaves me in.

What I'm Writing

I've been a bit bad this week in terms of writing and haven't really done any. I think what I really need to do is sit down and actually write out a proper plan for my WIP. I know it's pretty shocking that I don't already have one, but because I know where my novel's going I've always just been writing towards that point. Now, though, the story has expanded so much compared to what it once was so I need to organise all of my subplots before I drive myself mad.

What Inspires Me Right Now

For some reason I always struggle to think of an answer for this section of WUW, and then I see someone else's and I'm like 'damn, why didn't I think of that?' For whatever reason I find it difficult to pinpoint something as a definite inspiration, and sometimes I think we just can't be inspired but we need to make things anyway. Half the struggle of making any art form - whether it's writing, painting, singing, photography - is pushing yourself to do it when you're not feeling inspired. So I guess what inspires me is that every book lining the shelves in the book shops is there because someone slaved away at it, no matter how inspired they were.

What Else I've Been Up To

Last Friday was the Hannibal finale, and now I have to wait another year for season three. On the plus side there's going to be a season three so I suppose I can't really complain. I think I speak for all of us in the Fannibal family when I say we're all still pretty emotional.

Over the past few days I've managed to marathon the first series of Orphan Black. I started watching this show back when it first came out but, for whatever reason, I didn't carry on after episode two. I kept seeing it all over Tumblr, though, so this week I decided to pick up where I left off and I really enjoyed it. Tatiana Maslany is an amazing actress. If you're into sci-fi/thriller shows then I recommend checking it out!

One of my friends has also recently got me into an online game called Town of Salem which is deadly when it comes to procrasination. I don't know why it's so addictive but I've been enjoying it. It's a game in which you're given a role in the town, but no one else knows your role and you don't know anyone else's and it's a race to see whether the Town, the Mafia, or the Serial Killers win. It's surprisingly fun.

Other than that it's been pretty quiet/boring here. I'm off to the cinema tomorrow (what a shock) to see Maleficent, which I'm really excited for, and I'm hoping to go and see the new X-Men film soon, too.

What's new with you?

30 comments:

  1. Hi, Jess! I find shelves and shelves of published books inspirational too. It's one of the many reasons I much prefer ink-and-paper books and browsing bookstores and libraries. :)

    I hope Maleficent is good! Looking forward to seeing that, and X-Men too.

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! :) I love book shops and libraries, I just think I spend a little too much time in them. ;)

      Thanks, you too!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I *love* Orphan Black! Glad you got back into it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it - I think it's just what I needed the weekend of the Hannibal finale and a Game of Thrones-less Sunday!

      Delete
  3. I've done a few Maria V. Snyder's books, and the first ones ALWAYS grab me and get me all excited, but her sequels have a tendency to be a bit disappointing :( Fingers crossed you enjoy them more than I did, though!

    I've been meaning to get into Hannibal for aaages, but know once I start I won't stop, so I should probably wait until this WIP is out of the way ;)

    Best of luck with the writing and inspiration, Jess!

    - Caitie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit so far the only books I've finished of hers are Poison Study and Touch of Power - I really want to finish both series, but I tend to find myself enjoying other books just a little bit more. I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed!

      Ugh, you definitely should! :D But just as a warning, don't eat meat while you're watching it. In fact when you get to season 2 try not to eat anything at all; I'm usually pretty good with gore but there were moments in season 2 where I felt ill just eating chocolate. :|

      Thanks! :) Good luck with your WIP!

      Delete
  4. I loved Poison Study, but couldn't finish the sequel. I'll have to add Touch of Power to my list. I don't think I could handle Hannibal, but Orphan Black looks very interesting. Good luck with outlining, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Oh dear! I haven't read Magic Study yet, I'll have to see what I think of it. :) I enjoyed Touch of Power and I'm enjoying the sequel so far, unfortunately I just got distracted by the Newsflesh trilogy.

      Thanks, you have a great week too! :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen Orphan Black, but we've been jonesin' for a new SciFi series so I'll have to check it out.

    And it's okay to have down time in your writing. It's like exercise, you need time for your brain muscle to rest and recoup. Then you can hit it again. :)

    Hope you have an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! :) Personally I found the first two episodes a little slow, but over the past 2-3 days I basically marathoned episodes 3-10.

      This is true! :)

      Thank you, you too!

      Delete
  6. Oh! Fangirl! I love the book, I can't wait to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many amazing things about it, I'm looking forward to finally reading it! :)

      Delete
  7. Newsflesh is AMAZING. *tries to rein in fangirling* It's easily one of my top three book series of all time.

    I also watched the Hannibal finale while screaming at the television and Orphan Black is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, unleash the fangirling! I haven't even finished Deadline yet and I can safely say that it's already one of my favourite series; it's up there with Harry Potter, The Lunar Chronicles and The Hunger Games.

      Ugh, I know and now it's back to the HeAteUs - thank god it's been renewed for another season! :)

      Delete
  8. I have a hard time coming up with the What Inspires Me section too sometimes. Unless there's an amazing song or book I've read lately, I can't ever think of something.
    The new X-Men was great and I'm taking my oldest to Maleficent this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain - I can never think of anything and then I usually remember something really obvious later that I completely forgot to mention. :\

      I'm glad to hear it's a good movie! :)

      Delete
  9. I've found re-outlining really helps when I'm stuck in the middle of a draft. Juggling all those subplots can be difficult, and sometimes it's good to have it all down on paper! Though I admit I'm an obsessive outliner, and can't finish a book without one.

    Yep - half the battle of writing a novel is writing through the times when you're not feeling inspired! I find that setting targets can help.

    Hope you enjoy Maleficent! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just lazy. I'll feel much better once I have an outline, it's just making myself stop thinking about it and actually doing it that's the problem. I'm determined to get it done soon, though!

      Thanks. :) I imagine I'll be talking about it this time next week.

      Delete
  10. I know what you mean about stories expanding to a point where some order is needed. I'm in the same boat. I planned my story to begin with, but it has morphed so many times into something different that I feel like I need to re-plan the thing. Well, and to keep the subplots in order, like you say. Good luck with your planning, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stories have a tendency to do that, don't they? You'd think as the writers we'd have more control over them than we do, but once you breathe life into a story it tends to direct you instead! Thanks, good luck with yours too! :)

      Delete
  11. Deadline is definitely my favourite of the series. Enjoy :D

    Orphan Black is amazing. My love for Allison knows no end.

    I never plan for my novels. Makes things more interesting (and probably trickier :p) Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it so far! :D

      I think my favourite has to be Cosima. :) She's adorable.

      Wow, I'm envious! I wish I had the ability to just start writing and come out with a novel at the end of it, unfortunately if I don't have even the smallest plan I end up writing myself in circles. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  12. I'm a huge planner/outliner but often end up switching things within my outline or changing things if I think of something that works better or have an epiphany of some kind, so I can understand how you might feel the need to gather all your thoughts into an outline partway through the process. Like you, I always have an end point in mind and I think that's such a key thing.

    I'd like to see the new X-Men movie at the theatre, but we need to catch up on the last couple with our son first. We've seen them but he hasn't. Hope you enjoy it if you get the chance to go soon!

    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, end points can stop us from floating about in narrative, I think. :)

      I hope you manage to catch up on them soon!

      Thanks, you too!

      Delete
  13. Hannibal -- I haven't watched the last two episodes of that yet, but I love, love, love it. I'm scared to watch the episodes and then have to wait forever for the next seasons :(
    Also, I completely understand what you mean. I have issues with the Inspired section too. It's hard to pinpoint one thing that inspires me, when so many things do throughout the week/day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, you need to watch them soon! :D It's a brilliant show, isn't it? Now it's back to the HeAteUs until next year. :'(

      Glad to know I'm not the only one! :)

      Delete
  14. I ADORE Fangirl (and also Orphan Black) - I hope you love it! I think most of us in fan communities, regardless of whether or not we've ever written fanfiction, can relate!

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard nothing but good things about it! (Which is one of the reasons I'm a little nervous about reading it - I hope I enjoy it as much as everyone else does!)

      Thank you, you too!

      Delete
  15. Haha, I sometimes struggle with the inspiration part. I can have days when nothing has really been inspiring except the same old music or project and I feel boring if I list it over and over again.

    ReplyDelete