Tuesday 16 January 2018

Top Ten Tuesday | 100 Authors of Colour Project


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted at That Artsy Reader Girl. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!

This week's theme is 'Bookish Resolutions/Goals'! I haven't really set myself resolutions this year, not like I did last year, instead I've decided to make a '30 Before 30' list - 30 things I'd like to do I'd like to do by the time I'm 30 in 2o21. One of those goals is that I'd like to have read 100 authors of colour by the time I turn 30, so today I'm sharing some books by some authors of colour I've yet to read but would like to read soon.


The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas: This book was everywhere in 2017 and I've heard so many good things that I know I need to read it soon. I'm determined to get to this one this year!

The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng: I love stories about mixed race characters, and this story follows a half-English, half-Chinese boy in WW2 era Penang who befriends a Japanese diplomat. I've heard really good things about this one!

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini: I've heard so many wonderful things about this one and it's been on my TBR for a while now, so I'd like to read it soon. I have a feeling it's going to make me cry, though.

Lullaby by Leïla Slimani: This The Hand That Rocks the Cradle-esque thriller has just been released this month and it sounds deliciously dark.

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee: Another book I meant to get to in 2017 and didn't. This is a family saga which explores the relationship between South Korea and Japan - I know very little about that history and I'd like to learn more so I'm hoping this book will be a good introduction.


The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead: In this novel Whitehead has reimagined the Underground Railroad as a literal railroad and follows a young girl, Cora, as she escapes slavery in pre-Civil War America.

Under the Pendulum Sun by Jeannette Ng: This debut follows a young woman in search of her brother after he goes missing in Arcadia, the land of the fae.

The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu: I was very kindly given a copy of this for Christmas by the lovely Lorraine @ Insanity Sandwich and I've been eager to read Asian and African-inspired high fantasy for a while now so I'll definitely be crossing this one off my TBR this year.

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi: Speaking of African-inspired high fantasy, this book is due out in March and, as well as having a beautiful cover, sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Djinn City by Saad Z. Hossain: This novel is set in Bangladesh and features genies. It sounds like a lot of fun and is giving me Haroun and the Sea of Stories vibes, so I'd like to read this one this year.

What did you talk about this week?

11 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about The Hate U Give. The Underground Railroad is another one I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy these books, Jess. Always fun to make a goal list of books you'd like to read. :)

    Thanks for visiting Finding Wonderland, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice goal! I hope you enjoy these books. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this goal. I LOVED The Hate U Give and I feel pretty sure you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cool idea, good luck with it!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/16/top-ten-tuesday-142/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the 30 by 30 idea. So fun! And these are definitely some great-looking books. I hope you enjoy them.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this idea Jess! All the best with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also want to read the Hate U Give too! Let's hope we both read it!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought The Hate U Give recently and I need to get to it soon as well! It was definitely ALL OVER THE PLACE in 2017. I am so curious. I hope we will both love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lullaby sounds fantastic and just my kind of book :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Hate U Give is great. Not quite an easy read, given the subject, but really well done.

    ReplyDelete