Tuesday 26 September 2017

Top Ten Tuesday | They #$@&%*! you up, your mum and dad...


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is 'Ten Books That Feature Characters...' and I've decided to talk about books with protagonists who are parents, because so often parenthood is the end of someone's story and I've never been entirely satisfied with the idea that a person's life comes to an end as soon as they have a baby. You're still you, you just have an extra responsibility and that doesn't mean your life and your interests have to come to a stand still. Isn't it much more interesting for children to be raised by parents that actually have personalities?

Five of these books I've read and five are on my TBR!

The title is a line from This Be the Verse by Philip Larkin.


Books I've Read



The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin: I think Essun is the most bad-ass mother I've come across in fiction. There's not much I can say about this book, and this series, without giving too much away, all I will say is that you should read it.

Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples: The main conflict of this series is that a child has been born to two people who should be on opposing sides of an intergalactic war. That the series is narrated by that child is a lovely touch, I think.

Knife Edge by Malorie Blackman: Noughts & Crosses is one of my favourite books and the series continues to get darker and darker. Again there's not much I can say about Knife Edge without spoiling the series, but its honest depiction of early motherhood has always stayed with me.

The Death Maze by Ariana Franklin: I don't love this series but, when I'm in the mood for an easy to read historical thriller, I do find myself turning to it. Set in the middle ages, protagonist Adelia is one of the earliest working single mothers I've come across in fiction!

The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney: One of the driving forces behind this novel is protagonist Mrs. Ross's search for her teenage son who is suspected of murdering one of their neighbours. Really the book is about the town as a whole but it's an interesting read and one I'd recommend for the winter months!


Books on My TBR



The Tidal Zone by Sarah Moss: I've heard nothing but amazing things about this novel, told from the point of view of a stay-at-home dad which isn't a perspective you see often in fiction.

The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry: Cora, recently widowed and glad to be rid of a husband who wasn't particularly nice, decides to use her widowhood to pursue her love of science, with her lady's maid and young son in tow. I'm determined to get to this one soon.

Timeless by Gail Carriger: Another one I'm aiming to read by the end of this year so I can finally finish the series and move on to Carriger's other books set in this world. I'm just about to start Heartless, in which Alexia is heavily pregnant, so by Timeless she'll have a mini-Alexia to keep her eye on. It's a nice change to come across a series that doesn't leave the characters behind as soon as they 'settle down' - Alexia's married and pregnant, but she's certainly not ready to settle!

The Untold by Courtney Collins: I'm not 100% sure but I believe this one is based on a true story. I've realised this year just how little I read about Australia and it's something I want to rectify, starting with this book!

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë: I've read bits of this book but still need to sit down and read it from beginning to end. I really should get to it soon. Like Cora in The Essex Serpent, the heroine of this novel also has a young son to think of and, considering the time in which she lives, it's pretty damn admirable what she does to keep him safe.

What did you talk about this week?

14 comments:

  1. Interesting choice of a list. I read Saga too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saga is interesting with the whole intergalactic angle! and The Death Maze sounds great. Love the sound of the Middle Ages setting!

    https://gregsbookhaven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read The Fifth Season, it is soooo good. I really liked how it handled being a parent, like it shaped her a lot but it wasn't the sole thing about her. I love Saga so much too.

    The Tidal Zone and The Essex Serpent are on my TBR so I'm looking forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read Saga, but I love that you chose this topic. I do find stories where the characters are parents - yet not letting that consume their whole life/personality - to be fascinating.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Tenderness of Wolves sounds amazing. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for a list - I'm re-reading 'Love, Rosie/at rainbow's end' right now which is great at showing a mum who is also a person - but I don't think I like 'realistic depictions of motherhood' much. It puts me off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Knife Edge was actually my least favourite Noughts and Crosses book, but I did appreciate that Sephy's journey through early parenthood wasn't all sunshine and rainbows.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/26/top-ten-tuesday-126/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is seriously a great take on today's prompt. I haven't read any of these, but a few are definitely on my TBR. I hope you get to read your books soon :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! Interesting topic! I loved reading Saga!

    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agree! Parenthood does not equal boring. Quite the opposite, in fact! I haven't read any of these books, but several of them are on my TBR list already. There are a couple others I need to add. Thanks for the recs :)

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only book I've read is Carriger's Timeless. I adore the Parasol Protectorate series :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to read Malorie Blackman's books for an eternity, but still haven't picked them up. Maybe someday I'll finally get to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seem to notice books - YA especially, don't have parent's taking an active role in the characters life, which just seems, well, weird. Though I haven't read any of these, I am REALLY curious about Gail's books. They sound so interesting.

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Jess. :)

    ReplyDelete