Tuesday 13 December 2016

Top Ten Tuesday | Anticipated Releases of 2017


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is 'Top Ten Books I'm Looking Forward To For The First Half Of 2017'. I usually don't like doing these because, despite working in publishing, I'm not that great at keeping up with what's coming out in the coming years that I'm going to love. If there's a favourite author I follow or a series I'm keeping up with, I'll know, but otherwise I'm fairly useless.

Nevertheless there are some books I'm really looking forward to in the first half of 2017, so, without further ado, here are my top ten twelve most anticipated books being published between January and June!


The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli: Despite not being much of a YA reader these days, I adored Becky Albertalli's debut Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (reviewed here!) so I'd like to check out her second novel not only because I loved her debut so much, but also because The Upside of Unrequited features an overweight protagonist. We need more such protagonists in YA!

The Other Half of Happiness by Ayisha Malik: The sequel to Sofia Khan is Not Obliged (reviewed here!), which is probably one of the best adult contemporary novels I've read in a long while.

Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal: If that title doesn't catch your eye, I don't know what will. I just love the sound of this novel.

Stay With Me by Ayọ̀bámi Adébáyọ̀: I read about Adébáyọ̀'s debut in The Bookseller and loved the sound of it. Anyone who's had Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Margaret Atwood for mentors has to be fantastic so I can't wait to get my hands on this one.



Red Sister by Mark Lawrence: I don't read much high fantasy - I wish I read more than I do - but this sounds so cool. Assassin nuns are the best kind of characters.

The Seafarer's Kiss by Julia Ember: A Norse, LGBT+ retelling of The Little Mermaid. I am ready. I read and enjoyed Ember's debut Unicorn Tracks (reviewed here!) this year, and I can't wait to read more of her work!

The Ship Beyond Time by Heidi Heilig: I was surprised by how much I enjoyed The Girl From Everywhere (reviewed here!), so I'll definitely be checking out the sequel! I'm fairly certain this series is a duology so I'm curious to see how Heilig intends to wrap up Nix's story.

Dragon Springs Road by Janie Chang: This sounds magical. I've been meaning to read Chang's debut novel, Three Souls, but haven't got around to it yet. Dragon Springs Road sounds like my cup of tea, though; it's historical fiction meets magical realism meets mystery, all with a mixed race protagonist. I always enjoy reading books featuring mixed race protagonists and I'm really looking forward to this one.


Take Courage: Anne Brontë and the Art of Life by Samantha Ellis: I loved Samantha Ellis's memoir, How To Be a Heroine (reviewed here!), and I love Anne Brontë, so Samantha Ellis writing a book about Anne Brontë sounds perfect to me.

The Witchfinder's Sister by Beth Underdown: As far as I'm concerned Matthew Hopkins is one of the most evil men in history. He turned witch-hunting into a career for himself, inciting fear in small towns and making money killing women he accused of witchcraft - we even have him to thank for the Salem Witch Trials after a book he wrote became very popular overseas. This novel is from the point of view of Matthew's sister during the tumultuous years of the witch trials, and I think it'll be so interesting to read a book about Hopkins from the point of view of a female relative.

The Good People by Hannah Kent: Another author whose debut, Burial Rites (reviewed here!), I adored. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of The Good People which, like Burial Rites, is set in the 19th century but this time in Ireland.

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck: This novel is set in Germany after the Second World War and follows the widow of a German resistor who was killed in a failed attempt to assassinate Hitler in 1944. She has made a promise to her dead husband to rescue other widows of the resistance and make a home for all of them in the grand house of her husband's ancestors. I think there's a real lack of historical fiction set in Germany during or after the Second World War, and this sounds fantastic.

Which books made your list this week?

23 comments:

  1. For WW2 set fiction, try a book called ALL FOR NOTHING by Walter Kempowski. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27736818-all-for-nothing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, that sounds great - thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. Wow I hadn't seen the UK Ship Beyond Time cover! It's gorgeous. I still have to read The Girl From Everywhere, but I'm hoping to read it next year.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/13/top-ten-tuesday-87/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all look amazing, especially excited for The Upside of Unrequited and The Seafarer's Kiss!! Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I definitely want to read the Becky Albertalli book! Is the Hannah Kent book a definite for 2017? Must read that one too! And the Woman in the Castle sounds great well. I'll need to update my TBR list for sure!

    Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! =) It's already out in Australia, which makes me very jealous, and it's coming out in the UK and the US in February, I believe.

      Delete
  5. This is definitely a great list and I just added Seafarer's Kiss to my TBR because it definitely sounds amazing and something that hasn't been done before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of these are new to me but Red Sister looks really interesting!! I'm off to check that out now :D

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think I was an assassin nun in a past life. ;)

      Delete
  7. All of these sound like awesome reads! I hope you enjoy them all!

    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesss to the Ship Beyond Time! I AM SO EXCITED FOR IT. And I also adore the cover which is fantastic omg. And I will flail endlessly over Red Sister!! I loved The Prince of Thorns so I'm pretty sure it's going to be absolutely fantastic too. *flails*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I haven't read any Mark Lawrence yet (I'm kind of bored of princes in high fantasy tbh) so Red Sister will be my first foray into his work - it sounds amazing though!

      Delete
  9. I'm excited about so many of these books on your list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am such a sucker for historical fiction - I hadn't heard of it before, but after reading your description I really want to read The Women in the Castle. Can't wait! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! And you're welcome - I'm always happy to be giving recommendations.

      Delete
  11. Oh wow, these look AMAZING. I am excited for The Upside of Unrequited and The Ship Beyond Time too. But you have totally caught my eye with these amazing synopses and covers! I mean, both the title and the cover of Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows have me completely curious! Also the historical ones sound SO good, especially The Witch Finder's Sister- I feel like I have not read enough books set in that time period, that'd be a very intriguing one to try! Fabulous list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woah, I feel really out of touch with upcoming releases...these are all new to me^^ However, you've given me lots of titles to look up :D I'll likely be adding some of these to my tbr shelf as well! Thanksd girl! xx

    ReplyDelete