Tuesday 15 September 2015

Top Ten Tuesday | Mum's the Word


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is a freebie, and I'm always a little reluctant when it comes to freebies because I feel like there's so much pressure to do a really cool topic, but it's only pressure that I put upon myself because I'm actually insane.


It was my mum's birthday on Saturday, so this week I thought I'd share my top ten mothers, and mother figures (because let's face it, so many characters have dead mothers), from fiction!


Molly Weasley from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling: Come on, Molly is the ultimate mother. She's a Mother with a capital 'M'. She'd mother the world if she could, and she certainly gives it a good go throughout the series. I love her.

Kat Hall from If I Stay by Gayle Forman: I thought Kat and Denny were such fun, fantastic parents. Kat seems so laid back and wise, and I love how she was portrayed in the film adaptation, too.

Auntie Barbara from Lola Rose by Jacqueline Wilson: I loved this book when I was a little girl, and I have such fond memories of Auntie Barbara. I almost feel a little cruel putting her on this list when Jayni - or Lola Rose, as she prefers to be called - has her mother, but Auntie Barbara is amazing.

Marmee from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott: Like Molly Weasley, I think Marmee is another staple of fictional mothers. She wants her daughters to do well and grow into accomplished young women, but she wants them to find their way in the world their way; she supports Jo when she wants to write, she supports Meg when she chooses to marry for love over money, she supports Amy when she decides to pursue art in Europe, and she supports Beth by letting her take each day at a time, and never forcing her into anything that will make her uncomfortable.

Alana from Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples: What I love about Alana is that she's the heroine of the story, not the heroine's mother. Just because Alana has a child it doesn't make her any less Alana, and it's good to see the struggles that come with parenthood (especially if half the galaxy is trying to murder you) rather than a saintly mother figure.


Grace Goodwin from The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe: I love Grace because at first it seems like Katherine Howe is doing something stereotypical with the hippie, new age mother and the studious daughter who just doesn't understand her, and then it's revealed that Grace is a lot wiser than people assume, she just shares her wisdom in a different way.

Hannah Thornton from North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell: She might not be particularly likeable, but any woman who can survive in the 19th century, and raise two children well, after her husband loses all the family's money and then commits suicide is a pretty good egg in my book. This woman's got steel in her blood.

Miss Honey from Matilda by Roald Dahl: Who doesn't love Miss Honey? I always loved that Matilda ended up with the kind of family she deserved, and that Miss Honey did, too.

Narcissa Malfoy from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling: I think Narcissa's a fascinating character, and I love that we can never quite place her. She's not good or bad, she's many, many shades of grey, and she's a pretty fantastic mother.

Michelle Benoit from Scarlet by Marissa Meyer: I really wish we'd learned a little more about this lady! When I realised Marissa Meyer would be doing a sci-fi retelling of Little Red Cap I was curious about how the grandmother would be handled, and the fact that she used to be a military pilot is just so cool. Michelle was amazing, and I thought her relationship with Scarlet was lovely.

What did you talk about this week?

30 comments:

  1. MISS HONEY IS A LI'L RAY OF SUNSHINE AND I ADORE HER. *yells it out loud to the whole world* Matilda is one of those movies in which I know like half the dialogues by heart and stalked the rest of the Roald Dahl books bc Matilda was glorious.

    And oh my, yassss. I adore Molly Weasley. SHE'S LIKE THE QUEEN MOMMA. And omg, everytime she knits a jumper for someone I feel like crying because just awww. She was like, half of Harry's mother. AND MARMEE. 'nuff said. Lovely list <3

    Nirvana x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree Miss Honey is lovely, and the film adaptation is so much fun - it's one of those films I often put on if I want to feel better.

      Delete
  2. YES, I AGREE WITH YOUR CHOICE OF MICHELLE BENOIT!!! She was one of the most intriguing characters in this whole series that I also wish we got to know better. I mean, rarely do you ever meet grandmothers who used to be military pilots during their younger years. I would have loved to know her backstory and what she felt when she did the things she did ;____;

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five* Here's hoping that one day Marissa Meyer writes something about her, even if it's just a short story!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to your mum! Great Topic! So many fantastic lady characters here.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fantastic idea for a topic!! I love it!! :) Also happy birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MOLLY WEASLEY is SO the ULTIMATE mother! I have so much love for that woman, it's kind of crazy! And I agree that Narcissa is a fascinating character. It's like you said, she's not really good or bad but you can't question her love for her son. Michelle Benoit is another great one too, I wish we'd gotten to know her even better though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree with Molly Weasley! I love that she takes Harry and Hermonie in and becomes their mother. She is so sweet and compassionate. Narcissa is an interesting choice. She is a bit mysterious and I think she would be a really interesting character to get more information on. She is painted as one of the villains, but in the end you discover she is just a mother trying to protect her son in any way she can, and that makes her character all the more developed.
    I really need to read Little Women soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Molly's relationship with Harry is just lovely - she's such a contrast to Petunia! Narcissa's one of my favourite characters in the series, I think she's brilliant. :)

      Delete
  7. Yay Molly!! Narcissa is a tough on to place. I think she gets a lot of crap because of who her husband and sister were, and when you have two people so utterly obsessed with control I think it's probably easy to stay in the shadows. Draco was her main concern. It would be interesting to see a bit of perspective from her on how she viewed Lucius and Bellatrix during the war, and if her concerns aligned with theirs at all. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How interesting to put Molly and Narcissa on your list! I would never have thought of that, but yes, they are both trying to do right by their children. And gosh, it just reminds me how long it's been since I've read the Harry Potter series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.K. Rowling has written some pretty great mothers!

      Delete
  9. These are awesome choices, and I love the topic! I'm in the middle of North & South right now as part of a group read, so I particularly love seeing Mrs. T on your list. I adore Saga!!! Alana rocks (and I have a crush on Marko). I'm so glad you included Deliverance Dane too -- I feel like that's a book that isn't nearly as well-known as it should be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's nice to know someone else in the world has read Deliverance Dane - sometimes I feel like the only one! ;)

      Delete
  10. What a lovely topic! :-) I really enjoyed looking at your post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely topic choice!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/15/top-ten-tuesday-22/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adore Miss Honey and Mrs. Weasley! Great picks :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Miss Honey and Mrs. Weasley - are two of my favorite mother figures in literature!

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of everyone on this list the two of them seem to be getting a lot of love! :D

      Delete
  14. I really need to read Saga! Just haven't gotten to it yet maybe i need to make a trip to the comic book store this weekend! Ooh Michelle Benoit is a great one too! Awesome list this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanna! Yes, I recommend Saga - the art's fantastic. :)

      Delete
  15. Oh, very interesting post, I enjoyed it a lot! I love Miss Honey, she's just such a lovely maternal figure... cannot believe I never tought about her in that way before!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I LOVE this topic choice! I don't think I have ever seen this done before, but I love it! I really want to read Saga, I am glad to see it on your list. Totally agree with Kat from If I Stay, she was amazing. And SO fabulous in the movie! And definitely agree with Michelle Benoit too! Such great choices, and such a unique topic!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! ^_^ Kat in the movie was brilliant, wasn't she? I love Michelle, too, and I hope we learn more about her one day. I recommend Saga, the art's fantastic. :D

      Delete
  17. I'm currently listening to Half Blood Prince, which is the first book that really features Narcissa, and though I dislike her personality, I get why she acted like she did. But Molly Weasley takes the crown for sure! :)
    I also had a moment of stunned confusion when I saw the cover of Matilda and thought: "Wait, her mom was terrible," but you're right, Miss Honey's a great mother figure!

    ReplyDelete