Tuesday 19 May 2015

Top Ten Tuesday | My TBR


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is a FREEBIE! So I decided to talk about ten books on my TBR I'd really like to read soon.


Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke: This book is a bit of a beast - my edition is so heavy, it's like a brick - and I've owned it for a while now, but I'd like to read it soon because the BBC have adapted it for TV and it looks so cool. I'd like to try and read the book before I watch it, though!

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison: One of the things I've realised recently is that I'm not actually the biggest fan of high fantasy. I can watch it, but reading it I just get so bamboozled by all the different names and just the idea of an entire different world. I'm dumb, and I love fantasy that's in our world. I want to get back into high fantasy, though, and I've heard some amazing things about The Goblin Emperor.

This Strange Way of Dying by Silvia Moreno-Garcia: Silvia Moreno-Garcia's debut novel, Signal to Noise, is my favourite book of 2015 so far, and now has a firm spot amongst my favourite books of all time. This Strange Way of Dying is her first collection of short stories, and I'm dying to read more of her stuff - plus isn't that cover stunning?

The Sundial by Shirley Jackson: So far I've read The Haunting of Hill House, The Lottery, and We Have Always Lived in the Castle and loved them all. Shirley Jackson has quickly become one of my favourite authors - she's definitely my favourite horror writer - and The Sundial sounds fantastic. I've been getting really into modern classics recently, particularly modern classics written by women, and Shirley Jackson's gotten me really into southern gothic stories. I'm looking forward to this one!

This Book is Gay by James Dawson: This is a piece of non-fiction I've seen around on Booktube a lot recently. James Dawson's a YA author, and this book talks about what it's like to grow up as LGBT+. I think this book will be really interesting.


Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout: I've heard this is one of those really addictive YA series that's bordering on the ridiculous, and I'm totally ready for a guilty pleasure kind of read.

Denton Little's Deathdate by Lance Rubin: I saw Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight review this book about a month ago, and the premise just really intrigued me. It's been a while since I read any YA and this sounds fun despite the rather dark premise!

Rat Queens, Vol.2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth by Kurtis J. Wiebe and Roc Upchurch: I'm so excited for this! I pre-ordered my copy and I'm hoping it'll here at the end of this month.

A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab: I've owned this since February, heard nothing but amazing things about it, and yet I still haven't read it yet. What the hell's wrong with me?

White Trash Zombie Apocalypse by Diana Rowland: I love this series, and I want to read more of it. If you're a fan of urban fantasy or you want to read a series with a really original take on zombies, I recommend picking up these books!

What did you guys talk about this week?

17 comments:

  1. Hope you get to read these books soon. I would love to read The Goblin Emperor. I've heard really great things about it and it sounds so unique. (Which, considering how much fantasy I read is really awesome!) I've not even read Vicious yet, but once I do, I am so looking forward to reading A Darker Shade of Magic. Seriously, I've had Vicious for quite a while and only hear amazing things about it, but still haven't read it.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I haven't read Vicious yet, either - in fact I haven't read any of Schwab's fiction yet, but as a lover of historical fiction I think A Darker Shade of Magic is where I'd like to start.

      Delete
  2. I LOVED ADSOM so I definitely hope that you'll feel the same way about that one :D I also still need to read the Lux series and The Goblin Emperor! Awesome topic choice this week^^ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it - I'm looking forward to reading it when I finally get around to it! :)

      Delete
  3. I hope you get to read these books soon too! :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lux series is DEFINITELY a great guilty pleasure kind of read (and perfect for summer with all of the romance). I really need to read a Darker Shade of Magic, I've heard nothing but great things and it seems to have a lot of crossover appeal between YA and adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I'm not the last person on earth not to have read it. ;) I'm glad to hear the Lux series is fun - I think I might read Obsidian soon!

      Delete
  5. I really need to read some Jackson soon, but for some reason I have such a hard time finding her books in bookstores, I will have to make a book depository order soon! The Lux series is so addicting, I read the first four in like six days. I haven't read the last one and I don't think I will because I've just lost interest, but they are a great guilty read. I'm eager to hear what you think of A Darker Shade of Magic if you read it!
    Thanks for stopping by The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a shame! Though I must admit I went into Waterstone's in Cardiff the other week, the main shop in the capital city of Wales, and I could only find one of her books. I bought it (naturally) but I was disappointed I couldn't find anything else of hers, so I've ended up turning to amazon to complete my Jackson collection. :) I hope you get to her soon - she's amazing!

      I think I'll be reading Obsidian soon - I'm in the mood for a bit of fun, fluffy sci-fi!

      Delete
  6. I'm really looking forward to Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - that trailer looked so awesome!

    I highly recommend A Darker Shade of Magic - I'm kind of convinced Schwab is a genius. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks great, doesn't it? The book is such a beast, though; at this rate I don't think I'll be reading it before I start watching the show...

      I'm definitely going to try and cross it off my TBR soon! :)

      Delete
  7. Hahahahah same with A Darker Shade of Magic! Well I don't own it but I kept hearing amazing things about it but I just HATE waiting ages for sequels. Maybe one day I'll be in the mood to read it though! Great post!

    My TTT http://alejandrasmusings.blogspot.com/2015/05/books-ill-probably-never-read_19.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I see - I don't mind waiting for sequels too much, although admittedly I wish I had a copy of Winter right now!

      Delete
  8. Oooh great topic! First, I absolutely encourage Denton Little. ESPECIALLY if you are going into it looking for fun. Because if you are looking for serious and dramatic.. this isn;t the book ;) Thanks so much for mentioning me too! Also, ADSOM was definitely good, so get on that too haha.

    The cover of This Strange Way of Dying is scary, but not even half as scary as White Trash Zombie Apocalypse ;) Hope you get to read all of these VERY sooN!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you do it, Shannon? I swear you've read everything. :P I'm definitely going to try and cross both books off my TBR soon! I haven't really read any YA in ages, so I might end up going on something of a YA reading romp...

      Thanks! ^_^

      Delete
  9. Rat queens all the way!! I listened to Jonathan Strange and mr. Norrell on audio and it was so freaking long. I felt meh about it so not sure if it would be different reading it.

    ReplyDelete