Friday 9 May 2014

TBR | Bout of Books Edition!

Knowing I was going to be taking part in the Bout of Books read-a-thon this month I decided not to do a May Reads post, instead I'm now going to share with you the books I'm hoping to get through next week for the read-a-thon!



by Moira Young

It seemed so simple: Defeat the Tonton, rescue her kidnapped brother, Lugh, and then order would be restored to Saba's world. Simplicity, however, has proved to be elusive. Now, Saba and her family travel west, headed for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But the fight for Lugh's freedom has unleashed a new power in the dust lands, and a formidable new enemy is on the rise.

What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants?

May means that the final book in the Dust Lands trilogy, Raging Star, has been released, which means it's finally time for me to marathon the rest of the trilogy. I read Blood Red Road last year and absolutely adored it, so I'm hoping that the rest of the trilogy is just as good. Given how brutal Saba's world is I have no idea if the ultimate ending will be happy, but I hope it is!

I've owned Rebel Heart for a while now, so it's about time I read it.



by Moira Young

Saba is ready to seize her destiny and defeat DeMalo and the Tonton...until she meets him and he confounds all her expectations with his seductive vision of a healed earth, a New Eden. DeMalo wants Saba to join him, in life and work, to create and build a healthy, stable, sustainable world…for the chosen few. The few who can pay.

Jack’s choice is clear: to fight DeMalo and try to stop New Eden. Still uncertain, her connection with DeMalo a secret, Saba commits herself to the fight. Joined by her brother, Lugh, anxious for the land in New Eden, Saba leads an inexperienced guerilla band against the powerfully charismatic DeMalo, in command of his settlers and the Tonton militia. What chance do they have? Saba must act. And be willing to pay the price.

As mentioned above, Raging Star is the final book in Moira Young's Dust Lands trilogy. I can't wait to get back into Saba's head and see how her story ends.



by Libba Bray

Sixteen-year-old Gemma has had an unconventional upbringing in India, until the day she foresees her mother's death in a black, swirling vision that turns out to be true. Sent back to England, she is enrolled at Spence, a girls' academy with a mysterious burned-out East Wing. There Gemma is snubbed by powerful Felicity, beautiful Pippa, and even her own dumpy roommate Ann, until she blackmails herself and Ann into the treacherous clique. Gemma is distressed to find that she has been followed from India by Kartik, a beautiful young man who warns her to fight off the visions. Nevertheless, they continue, and one night she is led by a child-spirit to find a diary that reveals the secrets of a mystical Order. The clique soon finds a way to accompany Gemma to the other-world realms of her visions "for a bit of fun" and to taste the power they will never have as Victorian wives, but they discover that the delights of the realms are overwhelmed by a menace they cannot control. Gemma is left with the knowledge that her role as the link between worlds leaves her with a mission to seek out the "others" and rebuild the Order.

I remember always picking this book up in Borders during my teens, back when Borders was still around, and for some reason I never got around to buying myself a copy. Recently I realised it's about time I got around to reading it - I love historical fiction, and I love historical fiction set in the 19th century that features India in some way - so I managed to find a cheap, hardback edition online and now it's in my possession!

I've heard a lot of people praise this trilogy, so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it during the read-a-thon!



by Rose Melikan

1795, and a young woman called Mary Finch travels in haste from Cambridge to the Suffolk coast. She has been invited to meet her wealthy uncle - and so end a twenty-year estrangement. But before she reaches her destination she discovers a dying man on the road. He is a stranger, and yet he is carrying an oddly familiar watch bearing her uncle's initials. He also seems to know who Mary is, and hints that she is in terrible danger. His whispered warning soon exposes Mary to a ruthless conspiracy that threatens not only her family's reputation, but her very life. Far from home, Mary must learn quickly how to distinguish friend from foe. Can she trust the two men who want to help her? What is their interest in the mysterious Blackstone Key? Does it guard a secret treasure, or might it have a more sinister purpose...?

I found this book in a charity shop last summer. I'd never heard of it or the author, Rose Melikan, before, but as we all know I love my historical fiction, and I love my historical mysteries, too. 

If nothing else this book sounds like it should be a bit of fun!



by Stephenie Meyer

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

I have no idea if I'm going to manage to read this book during the read-a-thon or not, but I'm going to try just because I've owned The Host since its release and I still haven't read it. I started reading it when I first got it, but then I think school got in the way and I just ended up never getting back to it because I started to go off the Twilight series.

I've heard a lot of people say good things about this book, however, so I really should read it soon.

So there we have it! I have no idea if I'm going to get through all these books during the read, but if I can through a fair few I'll be pleased.

What are you hoping to read for the read-a-thon?

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment