Wednesday 30 April 2014

What's Up Wednesday! | 30/04/14

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk as a way for writers and readers to stay in touch!

What I'm Reading

Sadly I haven't really done any reading since I got back to uni - I'm already quite busy - so I'm hoping to start reading again soon. I was going to carry on reading Mira Grant's Feed last night, but when I got into bed I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

But in a couple of week's time I'm going to be taking part in the 10th Bout of Books read-a-thon, so I hopefully I'll get plenty read then!

What I'm Writing

I'm still working away on Bloodroot and Bracken. I did practically no writing over my Easter holiday (which is really bad, I know) but now I'm getting back into it and I feel like my writing skills have gone severely down hill. Right now everything I write is pretty much: 'and then she did a thing, and it was good'. I just need to shake off the last of the laziness that's still clinging to me after those three weeks away from uni.

What Inspires Me Right Now

Being back at uni means I'm once again surrounded by other writers, and that's pretty inspiring - it's certainly helping me to get my arse into gear!

What Else I've Been Up To

On Saturday I got back to uni after a very relaxing Easter holiday - so relaxing, in fact, that I almost wasn't ready to come back to uni - and then on Saturday night a friend and I went to see the new Spider-man movie. I'm definitely more of a Marvel fan than a DC fan, and next to the X-Men my favourite Marvel comic/cartoon when I was younger was Spider-man.

I especially love these new films because it's finally seeing Spider-man being done well. Andrew Garfield is a brilliant Peter Parker/Spider-man - he's the witty, sarcastic Spider-man I remember from my childhood - and Emma Stone is a wonderful Gwen Stacy, too.

I really enjoyed this film, but be prepared to be sad if you go and see it!

Earlier this week (or possibly at the weekend, I can't remember) I also submitted a short story into a competition, so we'll see how that goes. To be honest I never win anything but I thought it would be fun to try anyway, plus this year I'm trying to get more of my short fiction out there while I work on longer projects.

So what's new with you?

8 comments:

  1. We're our own worst critics - I'm sure your writing is absolutely fine :)

    Glad to hear you enjoyed Spider-Man. Good luck with the competition! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely needs some warming up if nothing else! :)

      Thank you! ^^

      Delete
  2. I definitely know what you mean about taking a break from writing (whether intentional or not) and finding it really hard to get back into it. Or at the very least writing something you don't completely hate. Here's hoping you can get back into a groove soon.

    I can't wait to see Spider-Man 2. I'm with you on Andrew Garfield being a great version of the character. I really didn't like the Tobey Maguire series much at all. He felt a bit too goofy in the role. Hope things are going well with university and everything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm starting to, but it definitely takes a few tries!

      To be honest I can't even remember if I've actually seen any of the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies, but considering what I've heard I'm glad I haven't - I much prefer Andrew Garfield!

      Thank you, I hope you enjoy Spider-Man 2 when you see it! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm excited to see the new Spider-Man. It doesn't come out till this weekend here in Canada, but I probably won't be seeing it for a couple of weeks. Glad to hear it was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Well I hope you enjoy it when you get around to seeing it! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm excited to see the new Spider-Man movie. It comes out here in the US on Thursday at midnight. I think I'm going to go see it on Saturday. I like Andrew Garfield better than Tobey Maguire. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the movie, you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete